Author Topic: The Wizard War (Chapter Ten)  (Read 2050 times)

davidleejones13

The Wizard War (Chapter Ten)
« on: February 07, 2008, 04:26:00 AM »
**If anyone would like the earlier chapters of this series let me know and I will PM them to you. Because of the volume of chapters MWC as locked the earlier chapters of the series to be fair to the other writers on the site. So, if you want the earlier part of the work just PM me and I will send you those episodes  ;D**

Ione had gone to sleep long ago.
Devon and Favreau sat in front of the cheerful fire long into the night in heavy conversation.

"I feel like such a failure," Devon stated after the first lull in thier conversation, "I had the Nureaytumea in my hands and I let it slip away."

"Devon my boy," Favreau flashed one of his warm smiles, "magic like everything else in the world we see before us follows natures rules."

Devon shrugged not knowing where the old man was going. Favreau put a hand on the younger mans shoulder.

"Let me explain. Just as the day and night have balance so does magic.
Sometimes, with the season, the day is longer than the night. But the balance always shifts the other way to compensate. There is always a constant ebb and flow to this balance. We find ourselves on the opposite side of the year where the night is longer than the day."

"I still do not see-" Devon blurted out but was cut short by the old man.

"Forgive an old man his ancient mannerisms," Favreau held up a hand palm outward with a smile, "I will eventually come to my point."

"Sorry," Devon answered with a nervous laugh. Favreau had a way of making him feel at ease even in this dark hour.

"We are in magic winter." Favreau stated flatly and got up and walked over to an old chest next to the hearth. He opened the lid and rumaged around pulling out something wrapped in an old stained cloth.

"The Nureaytumea's power is magic's night," he continued, "and right now it's rule eclipses the day. This happens every few hundred years and the Nureaytumea escapes the Svoresomes because, to put it simply, it wants to. It also escaped you because....it wanted to."

Devon squirmed in his seat and the old man had shoot him a stern look to keep him from interrupting.

"But the natural balance of magic dictates there exists a counter balance to the black power of the Nureaytumea."

Favreau handed the wrapped object to Devon. Confused he carefully unwrapped the cloth revealing a metal gaunlet with a feather relief pattern on it's shiny metal surface. Devon looked up into the face of the old man in confusion.

"It is called the Nuytumean in the Svoresome tongue," Favreau explained, "and it is magic's counterbalance to the Nureaytumea. And now it comes to you."

"What?" Devon jumped up from his seat, "what are you saying?"

"That you my boy are here because the Nuytumean called you here."

"I don't understand..." Devon responded.

"You are the only one who can use it's power."

"Me?" Devon asked in disbelief, "Why me? I don't want to use it's power. I-I don't even know what it's power is!"

"Son, you are the chosen one." Favreau answered, "that is why the Nureaytumea does not have the hold over you it does everyone else. That is why you remembered when everyone else forget how it used to be. That is why you are here."

"Why don't you use it's power?" Devon asked shoving the gaunlet at Favreau.

"Because I cannot," The old man answered, "the Nuytumean would just possess me as the Nureaytumea has done Captain Moncrede."

"I don't understand," Devon frowned, "I don't want this!"

"You are the only one who can use it son because you are the only one who can't be possessed by it."

"You are talking crazy old man," Devon shouted awakening a sleeping Ione in the next room, "Why does it have to be me?"

"Because you are the only one in the world," The Svoresome explained, "that was not born human, but born of magic."
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 08:35:52 AM by davidleejones13 »

Offline Age

• Oh R'lyeh? Cthul story, bro
    • View Profile
Re: The Wizard War (Chapter Ten)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 01:49:39 AM »
"Devon my boy," Favreau flashed one of his warm smiles, "magic, like everything else in the world we see before us, follows natures rules."

"You are talking crazy old man," Devon shouted, awakening a sleeping Ione in the next room, "Why does it have to be me?"

"Because you are the only one in the world," The Svoresome explained, "that was not born human, but born of magic."

wooooo-hoooooo, neeeeeeeeeto!!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Don't forget to check out Flash Fiction Challenge #109!

davidleejones13

Re: The Wizard War (Chapter Ten)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 11:17:35 PM »
Thanks Age,
I have been working all weekend, and tonight, this was my first chance to respond to your comment. I am hoping it is positive? Usually neeeeeetooo means good right?
If so, thank you!

Your friend
Lee

I will be devoting more time to this series soon....