Author Topic: is a certified letter good proof of ownership?  (Read 1778 times)

Offline commatose

• Doctor! His punctuation is getting worse!
is a certified letter good proof of ownership?
« on: March 24, 2006, 02:21:57 AM »
mailed by you, to you. with a copy of your work enclosed. i read in FAQs that your computer is good, so a letter with P.O. stampings all over the seal seems it should be quite good.
steve

Offline Mini

Re: is a certified letter good proof of ownership?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 04:25:26 AM »
I have no idea.

I get a trusted friend to proof read my first or second draft, and date and sign it before I trust anything to the mail.

But I haven't had any problems to verify that this is a good system.

My only problem is Maz (my friend) is far too good at spooting my mistakes!! I always end up redrafting.

Mini writer

Offline Fern

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 08:50:04 PM »
commatose, I've also heard of writers doing that to have proof that a work is theirs in case the need ever arises.  The other thing is that the seal must not be broken on the envelope.  Be sure to mark it somehow, such as using a number or perhaps the book/article name on the back or something so you won't forget what it is. Then put in a safe place, seal unbroken once it is delivered back to you.

Offline commatose

• Doctor! His punctuation is getting worse!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 11:03:43 PM »
hi mini and fern,
thanks for the input.
i cert/mailed my story to myself and vaulted it a long time ago (when i could jump higher? ;)).
it was complete, but unembellished.
it's now twice the word count (7,200), but basicly the same story. i figure the 'spirit of the law' will protect it anyway.

steve

steve