Author Topic: Your Experience of "Self-Publishing"... Reviews of Lulu, Outskirts & More!  (Read 2850 times)

Offline karlmoore

• Esteemed Contributor
    • Karl Moore.com
Hi Friends,

I'm starting this thread to gain YOUR insight into the best self-publishing companies out there.

A lot of people have recently been asking about Lulu.com. What has been YOUR experience? I've always used traditional publishing houses for my own printed work, however I could be convinced.

I've heard mixed reviews about Outskirts Press, as they really tried to get me to publish a book through them once... and their enthusiasm scared me away.

What about others... who are the self-publishing kings and queens... and who are the crooks?

-- Karlos

Lin

Thanks Karl,

This should be a good one for all of us, something perhaps none of us have yet dared to ask.

Lin

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
I used Authorhouse for my nursery rhyme book. Mmmm - there are cheaper places around and at the outset they looked reasonably priced. As the publishing got going, however, the payments for this, that and t'other increased.

Best points about them: They were quite fast; the communication channels were great and very efficient - no hanging around waiting for replies. Best of all, the quality of the paper and general publication was SUPERB. I've seen other children's self-published picture books around and was horrified at the recycled paper they were using (great for the environment but crap for the author!)

Downside: As with all self-publishing, the marketing afterwards sees the costs spiralling. You don't get any free copies so you have to buy every single one. To market, you have to send out loads of freebies and you don't often get them back! Authorhouse do most of their marketing in the US so there's little control from a UK author's viewpoint.

Biggest downside: I gave up in the end because I couldn't realistically ask anyone to pay the totally irrational cost of my book either via Authorhouse themselves or via Amazon. The cost is extortionate and I just felt I was ripping everyone off.

Lots of ticks on the Experience front!

Symphony

« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 08:29:19 AM by Symphony »

Offline Linda Aitchison

• A little bit about me x
...can I put my sub editor's hat on and urge people considering that a certain outfit are crooks to respond in a considered manner that's not likely to be libellous?  :)
<a href="http://www.freelancewritingtips.com">"Currently updating and adding to my book on freelance writing</a>

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
...can I put my sub editor's hat on and urge people considering that a certain outfit are crooks to respond in a considered manner that's not likely to be libellous?  :)

Hope you weren't referring to my posting? I've read it again - nothing libelous in there - only pointing out my own mistakes, not the publishing house! Like I said - quality was fab! I just would never self-publish again.

Symphony

Offline karlmoore

• Esteemed Contributor
    • Karl Moore.com
Hi there Linda,

I continuously wear my editors hat -- however I would urge people NOT to censor their opinions.

As one of the moderators behind this forum, I will state that the one thing I will fight for to the death is free speech. We're not trying to libel anybody. We're simply trying to gain honest user opinion.

Any company out there afraid of honest user opinion isn't worth their salt. If we need to crush them on this forum, let's do it. And that includes my own. Free speech is the one thing I'd hold above everything else.

What is your experience, Linda?

Karl

Offline Linda Aitchison

• A little bit about me x
Hello,

I wasn't referring to anyone' s posting and I am a great believer in free speech. :)

But anyone considering making harsh comments about editors etc may wish to consider the 10,000 damages awarded last week against someone who posted anonymous comments on a chatroom.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1738415,00.html

It's one thing to say you felt let down by a publisher etc - it's another to suggest they are 'crooks'.

Honest user opinion should be absolutely fine, shouldn't it - but it has to be based on fact. Even then just because something is true doesn't give you an automatic defence in a libel case - you have to prove it's true.

Just trying to help. :)

All best wishes

Linda

<a href="http://www.freelancewritingtips.com">"Currently updating and adding to my book on freelance writing</a>