Author Topic: Copyright Question for prequel (not for publication)  (Read 1562 times)

Offline Minotaur

Copyright Question for prequel (not for publication)
« on: March 24, 2006, 09:25:39 AM »
Hello all,

Just something I have wondered about.

I'm a lover of horror/suspense films/novels. There is one particular movie I love that has no novel and most likely will not have one. Fair enough, but what I would love to see is a Prequel to the story shown in the film, like what was going through the characters minds and such the evening before...if that makes any sense.

I thought of trying it myself, but then got to wondering about copyright. Any ideas?

New here, and I apologize if I am doing this wrong. :)

Minotaur
My whole life I have kept everyone at arm's length, and I finally feel like opening up and letting people in.

Naturally I do not want this getting around to random ‘tards…

Offline Bob B.

Re: Copyright Question for prequel (not for publication)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 10:33:38 AM »
     If you're doing it for your own amusement with no intention to publish there is probably nothing wrong with it.  But the minute you start circulating it, to friends or via a fan site on the web--even for free, you run the risk of being sued by the copyright holder of the original.  There are certainly "fan fiction" sites that post "continuations" by fans--and these are often tolerated by the original creators because it keeps their work in the public's mind.  But you cannot depend on good will.  Other authors have been known to take offense at such fan creations.  If the property you want to write a prequel for is a recent publication, i.e. anything that was publihed after December 31, 1922 in the U.S., then you will want to tread carefully.  I understand the love for characters and plot that books can create in readers, but given the energy it takes to write anything I'd offer the advice that you're much better off writing your own original material that you may be able to publish and exploit.

Offline Minotaur

Re: Copyright Question for prequel (not for publication)
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 03:33:05 PM »
Ahhhh. :)

Thanks for the input, now I know.

I will take it into consideration.

Minotaur :)
My whole life I have kept everyone at arm's length, and I finally feel like opening up and letting people in.

Naturally I do not want this getting around to random ‘tards…