Author Topic: Your first thought today?  (Read 341857 times)

Offline ellie

Re: Your first thought today?
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2007, 07:05:00 PM »

I wish I could hear a cock pheasant in the garden.  It would be better than the bloody motorway noise.  For the last thirty or so years people have been telling me 'You'll get used to it'.  Well, I haven't.

Gyppo

Ahh, the joys of country living Gyppo ;D..you should hear the old bull in the field on the corner when he gets going..is it the mating season d'you know? :o

(sympathise with you, I lived next to a very busy road once, in Essex)
The cure for boredom is curiosity.There is no cure for curiosity
Oscar Wilde
http://www.goldstarbooks.co.uk/ellie_Bowdery.htm

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2007, 07:56:31 PM »
you should hear the old bull in the field on the corner when he gets going..is it the mating season d'you know? :o

What for?  Bulls, or just in general ;-)

I gather that most cows don't even see a bull these days.  Just the man from the Ministry of AG (or whatever they call it these days) with a pair of rubber gloves and a plastic bag of frozen 'bull juice'.  Could explain 'Mad Cow Disease', couldn't it?

Country living...  When we first moved here, about 45 years ago, the road outside was just a gravel track and there was woodland - with bluebells and all the other stuff we used to take for granted - just the other side of the track.  Then they built a row of old folks bungalows.  It was a typical 60s experiment in social engineering, sticking old folks opposite families with kids.  All the houses had a little alcove built on for storing bicycles.  Gradually the estate grew around us.

We could hear owls hooting at night, and sometimes the cows coughing in the fields beyond the woodland.  Very distinctive, a cow's cough.  Gamekeepers and poachers learn to cough so it sounds like a cow, if they have to ;-) 

About a mile away down the hill and beyond the river there was the proper town with several large factories, and at 6am you could hear the rumble as machinery started en-masse.  But it wasn't as obtrusive as the motorway noise.  There were still a lot of farms around and a lot of open ground.  All gradually eaten up by housing and factories.

I've been away and come back a few times, and after being down in Cornwall the first few weeks back with the motorway noise were a nightmare.

A few years back we went for a short break at a place in Cornwall called Lansallos, and, not only was it quiet enough to hear a fox walking past in the night, there was virtually no light pollution from street lamps.  I could walk down to the beach at night through the fields by starlight.  It's only in the wild places that you realise just how much light stars can provide, even without a moon.  Just sit outside for a while to let your eyes adjust and away you go.  Magic.  Of course, on a cloudy night it was as black as the inside of a bag ;-)

Damn, I need to get back there...

Gyppo   
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 03:35:00 PM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Big T

• Cheers, enjoy your day!
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2007, 10:31:30 PM »
Great insight Gyppo thanks.

First thoughts:
Today, I finish at 12 .... hooray!
Beer at 13:00
Shopping .... after the beer ... No closing time!!! Could be a wobbly evening.

T
Big T  :o

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2007, 07:06:09 AM »
first thought: Shit, someone is landing a C-17 in the back yard (those are the huge transport planes the US Air Force uses and they are horribly, terribly, loud) Peeked at clock to see 5:39 AM

next realization, some idiot has some souped up car with a barrel muffler to make it sound like a C-17 and they are not driving away anytime soon. I must track them down and kill them.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline pamela07

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2007, 10:50:07 AM »
Did the next round of snow storms start yet?  I still have shopping to do.

Offline Talisman

• June Austin
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2007, 02:57:18 PM »
my first thought was 'wish I didn't have to go to work'.
I used to be an aetheist until I realised I was God
www.juneaustin.co.uk
http://juneaustin.blogspot.com/
http://conversationswithpod.blogspot.com/ - helping POD authors publicise their work

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2007, 03:52:08 PM »
first thought: Shit, someone is landing a C-17 in the back yard (those are the huge transport planes the US Air Force uses and they are horribly, terribly, loud) Peeked at clock to see 5:39 AM

next realization, some idiot has some souped up car with a barrel muffler to make it sound like a C-17 and they are not driving away anytime soon. I must track them down and kill them.

You need to walk out casually, smash their windscreen, on the driver's side, with a sledge-hammer or perhaps a felling axe, and when they jump out to remonstrate - or perhaps run away - say "Now I have your attention...".

On the other hand this may not be good advice for a female...

When I worked nights I stalked across the carpark outside my house one day, wearing nothing but my underpants and carrying a felling axe to 'have a word' with two noisy gits who were 'balancing' their new car stereo, they weren't inclined to argue.  Nor was my then wife, who stood in the doorway watching and didn't know quite how to react.  I think she knew I was acting the part, but perhaps she wondered.

It was all a very careful act, but down in Cornwall they have a morbid fear of axe-murderers so it worked really well.

"I'll gladly cut it in half if it will help you balance things..."

Then I suggested a layby/pull-in about half a mile away where they could do the job without waking me again.  After that I put the axe away and went straight back to sleep.  The absence of adrenaline wakefulness proved it was just an act.

If you do something like that every couple of years it keeps the 'natives' on their toes and properly respectful ;-)

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline CarrieSheppard

• All it took was a visit to AZ...
    • My blog pages
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2007, 05:18:58 PM »
First thought today...

Turn the alarm off, it's Saturday!

Second though - oh gawd, Carol will be here in half an hour and we're going shopping....

Offline Paula

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2007, 06:19:07 PM »
My first thought was probably unrepeatable. My dog decided it was time I was up, hopped up onto my bed and danced a merry little jig. Shes a particularly big collie cross who didnt care that she was trampling me. Pah
...because that is what happens when fortune no longer favours the bold.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2007, 06:19:48 PM »

Turn the alarm off, it's Saturday!

Thank the gods for that.  Most of today I've been thinking it was Sunday.  It's been a strange week, but I've just gained another 24 hours I thought were gone.

Gyppo

Offline Talisman

• June Austin
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2007, 04:18:39 AM »
first thought today - can't wait for Christmas Day so I can actually have a day off !

If you go shopping at Currys today anyone spare for a thought for me, and if you go to Dorking then pop in and say hello !  ;D
I used to be an aetheist until I realised I was God
www.juneaustin.co.uk
http://juneaustin.blogspot.com/
http://conversationswithpod.blogspot.com/ - helping POD authors publicise their work

Offline CarrieSheppard

• All it took was a visit to AZ...
    • My blog pages
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2007, 07:18:08 AM »
I went to Currys - couldn't find the TV I wanted!   :(  Dorking's a tad out the way for me though.

Used to go to the folk club there though, long ago.  http://www.chanticleerfolk.co.uk/

As for finding that TV - I think internet search about to commence!

OK - back on topid!  First thought this morning?

How nice it is to be loved.

Second thought:

I don't wanna get up! 

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2007, 07:43:43 AM »
My first thought: Why am I looking at a clock with the first number a 3? I am hating these hot flashes. I hope I can manage to get back to sleep

Second first thought: Well, the first number is a 5, maybe I will just close my eyes for a moment longer.

Third first thought: Why is the phone ringing in the middle of the night? (time now 7.28)
I guess I could get up. I wonder if there is coffee yet. (there wasn't, but it was started)
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline Ken100

• The Devil and Edward Teach - Out now.
    • Ken Preston
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2007, 09:44:18 AM »
My first thought...
'Hmm, I actually feel ok, considering how much I had to drink last night!'

;D ;D
Let me format your book for Kindle. 20% Discount for MWC Members.
http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php/topic,44874.new.html#new

Follow me on Twitter; @kenpreston100<br /><br />
http://www.kenpreston.co.uk

Offline Don

• Murder & mayhem for fun and profit.
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2007, 10:54:01 AM »
If you do something like that every couple of years it keeps the 'natives' on their toes and properly respectful ;-)

Lol.  Occasionally, I will rent a moving van and park it in front of the house just to get the neighbors' hopes up.  I love seeing their long faces when I drive it away, unused.

First thought today:  Ack!  Dinner with the in-laws.
I have a motto: when in doubt, go for the cheap laugh.