Author Topic: The Story's from the Muse but what about the venue?  (Read 5170 times)

Offline dynodreamer

The Story's from the Muse but what about the venue?
« on: December 14, 2007, 05:20:36 PM »
If your story's come to you outfitted with the faces of Hollywood A-listers to carry the action is it automatically begging to be a movie?
I automatically see the faces of Robert DuVall - Judge Rheinholdt - Mary Steembergon or Bruce Willis, when I start writing .
I have only about one in five stories which have no principals as a template.

Q) Does everybody/anybody see things this way?
Q) Would you go straight to screenplay or write the book first???
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there isnít any - Yogi Berra
[Ask a Doctor when he feels he might quit practicing Medicine and work on theory!]

PaulW

Re: The Story's from the Muse but what about the venue?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 07:28:36 PM »
A) I do tend to write characters with someone in mind, other people don't always see it though. Do a character description, just a one pager - ask five friends to read it and say who they think should play the part. This will tell you if you're putting distinctive features into your characters or just casting in your own mind. It may well be they all see different actors in them. As to whether it is begging to be a movie - that depends on the story rather than the characters. You could put actor's faces to names in the phone book and it wouldn't indicate you should make a film of it. ;)

A) That depends on you and what you are most comfortable with. If I'm writing a screenplay I know I have to focus more on the dialogue and character interactions than strong descriptions so writing a novelised version first would be counterproductive. What I DO make sure of if I'm writing something as prose that I think I'll later want to adapt is make sure that I write it in a scene based fashion. It saves a hell of a lot of time later. I did this with a short story that I adapted to a short stageplay, it becomes SO much easier if you've already thought of it in terms of scenes rather than chapters. It also becomes blatantly obvious if it is going to be doable within a sensible budget when you can weigh up how many locations will be needed, etc.

Offline dynodreamer

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 11:40:10 PM »
Re.A) 1.
Ah! Good input my friend!
I'll give that exercise a shot.Thanks.
What do I really know for sure? (because I'm so new at this)... anyway, I believe I liken the balance between thinking stories in Novel form as opposed to Movie form, much like the difference you'd find with a classically trained pianist and a digital keyboard player. I'm not much of a reader, and I'm told I must read to write. I'm trying to remedy that. But watching a lot of films is like falling off a log.
I've likely got a general handle on film as a vehicle, and probably have the sense of timing and scene change that would compliment the screen all right. The main thing as you point out IS the story.
I think they're great story ideas, and of course, umm ... the proof of the pie is in the quality of the fruit invested in it
There was this initial fear of lack of dialogue when I tried to think my character's words for them, but I found that I can be pretty chatty in print.
Putting actors faces to names for someone reading a phone book sounds like something Rod Serling would've worked with. Great idea! Clairvoyant Story there.
Re.A) 2. Sounds like marketing is a big part of getting the suits to take up a script then Paul.
Writers in a sense have to put on the hat of a director and logistical visionary . I know, I know- that's their job to tell ME! I'm talking too much. I need to get back to the writing - thanks again for your input.
-Richard

The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there isnít any - Yogi Berra
[Ask a Doctor when he feels he might quit practicing Medicine and work on theory!]

Offline oncebrummie

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 11:39:16 AM »
May I gently suggest that watching movies is not enough...
...IMHO, one needs study them. Pick them apart. Learn from them. Listen to them blindfolded. Know which director does which kinds of films and what techniques s/he uses.
Not just the good films, either, but the mangy dogs......

I can hardly wait to get to the city to see Love in the Time of Cholera. Compare it to the book and see how it was translated to the screen from the page. Works in both directions, dreamer.

You are the knight on the white horse who needs to know how to clean the hooves of the animal lest you face the adversary unprepared because your groom got drunk and didn't do his job.....
Now, charge on.......you can do this.....

oncebrummie

Offline oncebrummie

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 11:42:16 AM »
Besides, better to have too many words to start and prune, than not enough and wonder where you'll find the right ones to hang on the tree.

You never know what good stuff will come out of your unconscious to make your story distinctly yours.......

OB

Offline dynodreamer

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 03:45:29 PM »
Thanks oncebrummie.

Are we finished all the shopping now? I still have to go back for the eggnog a rutabaga and some clementines.

Well, first thing ... My brother's an avid reader and its one of his things to do - [to go to a movie because he wants to know how well they transposed it from the book.Since I'm living at his place for now we have this thing for doing some amateur critiquing the movies we rent.
'An aside -I notice the subtle conspiracy afoot- the networks are very sparing with showing movies these last few years. 'Lots of other content, but less of the movie runs. They'll be waiting a long time for my extra 40 bucks on a movie channel.

When it comes to "not worring about writing too much - I couldn't agree more. How can you know what fits in best if you won't offer yourself a few choices?
Besides, half the time there's often more story to be found on the next pass. Or while you're out getting a haircut.'Begs the question, How can you really know when the story's finished?
I like Patrons idea, I've downloaded the Bourne Ultimatum and am printing the script out to follow along when I get the DVD. This flick and a few more. But on the other hand I hate to watch a movie where the writing is so bad it's embarrassing to be in the same room with the DVD player.
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Ho Ho Ho!
Have a Merry Christmas!

Offline oncebrummie

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
Sounds like a good idea to read script while watching movie....IF you can read and watch at the same time......gone are the days when i could multi-task usefully......

...you know what a rutabaga is? I have to tell the cash register people in my local market..... you must live in  the place i only dream of....

enjoy that eggnog, those clementines, and that rutabaga, then take a nap and dream the conclusion to your screenplay...write it down, then  work backwards.....to the end......

Happy happy and jolly jolly to you, friend.
ob

Offline dynodreamer

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 08:33:47 PM »
Up here in Toronto somebody in the guvament thought it was a good idea to put the miles on the shelf and give us meters instead of miles to work out the holiday road trips with.
What a bunch-a ........!!!!
Anyway ....One day I went into one of the Nation wide Auto parts chain stores (where they supposedly have everything you need)
                                     Guess what I asked for?
                                           A yardstick!
                                    Guess what the kid said!
                                       What's a yardstick?
                                     Guess who's getting old (er!)
                                                    :-\
            [Twenty seven and a third kilometers across the sea Santa Catalina is a waitin' for me.]
                                       Doesn't quite make it does it?
                                  At least the UK is sensible enough to keep them.           

Offline oncebrummie

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 01:15:27 AM »
Love your sense of humor..... maybe you should have asked for a meter stick?
When the US was diddling around about changing to metric and the corporatists and the ignorant  hoi polloi whined and B*&^%ed about it til they killed the idea, thereby keeping us on the fringes of modern western society, well, back then we were lucky enough to get a meter stick. It's a lot easier to divide items by centimeters than by inches. I used to sew and blessed the person who gave us that stick.
Is there a short story in this conflict??????

If you want to get to Catalina Island for real, how many litres of fuel would it take?
I like the idea of singing about it better than actually going....I get seasick.....

We are probably about the same old(er) age. Pesky, ain't it, when the rest of the world seems too young to be trusted with big decisions, big nuke plants and bombs, and surgical anesthesia...... not to mention being in the first seat in a big airliner...... oh, must stop thinking that way, those younger folks will be my grandchildren before the turn of the decade......

happy happy jolly jolly to you
write on!!!!
OB
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 01:17:25 AM by oncebrummie »

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007, 05:04:22 AM »

You are the knight on the white horse who needs to know how to clean the hooves of the animal lest you face the adversary unprepared because your groom got drunk and didn't do his job.....
Now, charge on.......you can do this.....

Nice way of putting it across.  I wouldn't worry so much about cleaning the hooves though, I'd be more concerned that all the nails were tight and properly clenched down and filed, so as not to risk damaging the other legs at a full gallop.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline oncebrummie

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2007, 11:23:52 AM »
Good point. :)  :-*
I ask, however, have you ever sniffed an infected hoof and had to medicate it before the advent of superdrugs? :(
My advice, don't.
H-m-mmmm I have a novel that fits in that category.....maybe I'll send my heroine to The Station......

Clench and file the nails....and don't let the horse lean on you while he's standing on three feet....

Enjoy your holiday, friends.....

OB