Author Topic: Why do you enjoy writing?  (Read 20747 times)

Offline nitewriter

Re: Why do you enjoy writing?
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2009, 01:45:39 PM »
Just went to my closet to find that special shirt with a pocket!
And what I found in that pocket is amazing!
It's my long lost gold pen!!!!

I thought I heard tiny laughter.............

(Thanks for the post!)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2009, 04:15:30 PM »
There you go then.  She's been playing with your pen.  Charging it with words.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Chandara5

« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2009, 04:21:35 PM »
I love it because for a moment I forget all else.   ;D
Elizabeth Arroyo
My debut novel, THE SECOND SIGN, will be released February 7, 2013 by Sapphire Star Publishing
www.elizabetharroyo.com
www.chandarawrites.blogspot.com
https://twitter.com/#!/EArroyo5

Offline Annmarie

• Got my kinky boots on. Watch out!
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2009, 04:38:57 AM »
I love writing because it produces something in the end. Without writing, people would just call me whimsical, daydreamy or just plain weird.  :)

Really, I just get a kick out of it. Always did. It's like a drug.
Work hard. Believe. Take a chance.

Lin

« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2009, 05:28:55 AM »

I think writing is for depressed, stressed and deprived people.  It allows you the means to express the feelings you are not allowed to express in the spoken word.  It allows you to say what you mean and gives you time to think about what you want to say, to express it in a more meaningful way, to find the right word to describe the moment without having to think of a word when under pressure.

In this respect if you are depressed,stressed or deprived of anything in your life then the whole writing concept is so therepeutic that you cease to feel that way any more.  Its good for the soul.

Lin x

Offline emma112

• Fantasy heals the wounds of reality.
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2009, 04:20:09 PM »
Sorry, Lin, but I disagree... I am not a depressed person, but I love writing. Yes, for most writers it is a way to express their feelings, but this does not necessarily mean that they are depressed. Maybe they would like to get a point across for the people of the world, maybe they just want to communicate their fantasies to others, get their dreams out of their heads and make it real. That is something I want in writing. This is why I write.

Neither am I deprived. I have everything I need. My partner, whom I love, the air I breathe, my family and friends around me, my knowledge and skills for writing, and my pen. This is what makes me a writer, because I have a lot of influence and support.

And my life is stressful at the moment. This actually stops me from writing. I get writers block when I am stressed, which is why I haven't put pen to paper for a while now.
Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us - Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)

Offline scriptum

« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2009, 06:23:04 AM »
Q.  Why do you enjoy writing.

A.  You know, I never thought of writing as enjoyment.  It's compulsion or being driven but not enjoyment in the sense
of "I can't wait to do this".  Because it's often hard work and fixed focus -- it drains. Writing is satisfying, to be sure. 
My enjoyment stems more from having something to go to, that something's waiting for me.  I'm peaceful in that place. 

Offline BookWhirl.com

« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2009, 02:55:51 AM »
I enjoy writing because it's a creative medium of expressing my thoughts and ideas. Through writing, you can touch someone's life even when the individual isn't directly connected to you. You never know when its influence stops.

Offline Aiswari Cara

• The writing face.
    • Writing and Things
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2009, 02:29:02 PM »
My favorite part of the writing process is the actual writing. Nothing gives me more pleasure than to sit for no reason and write a free write or just write a poem. I'm also starting to enjoy the process of character creation. I like the thought of learning someone knew, that you're going to make a new home for, and he is going to the be hero of that place. Or, if the bad guy is going to be able to trump all his efforts because most times, their actions are their own.
"No matter where you are, even in your mind, there are always details waiting to be discovered."
Clint Daniel

http://thewritersmoney.blogspot.com | A place for writing and learning.

Offline Becki

« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2009, 10:41:47 AM »
For me, it's the whole creation process. I'll get an idea in my head, figure out what the story is going to be about, and then I'll start writing it down. Once I get into the 'zone' it's as if it takes a life all its own. I love it. And what I also love is when a character shows up out of nowhere. Or when a character I created ends up doing or saying something I myself didn't expect. I get a rush from it. I hope that doesn't sound mental, but it honestly makes me happy.  :)

Offline Virginiabard

« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2009, 05:47:47 PM »
Why do I enjoy writing?

Because I can't act, sing or dance.

Seriously - it's about creating a situation and throwing people into it and seeing how they will get out of it. The challenge of taking a seed of an idea and seeing if I can stretch it into a two hour play without making it boring.

Offline TaraLC

• Bringing History and my Dreams to Life
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2009, 06:02:06 PM »
I love the point when the writing takes on a momentum of it's own. That is when you get the moments where you find yourself tied up in the emotions your characters are feeling, sitting like an idiot at the keyboard laughing hysterically or sobbing like a child.

Or in dialogue sections where one of your characters says something so interesting that you are left thinking, 'wow, that is clever, I never thought of that'. I like when my characters are better than I am, when they do the right thing, where I'd have chickened out.

Paul

Wow does this sound like a wonderful place to be. I know my characters are there waiting to come to life. Lately they've become rather restless and impatient and I have been throwing myself into research. For them to breathe and live I feel the honorable thing to do is know the times they live in, know their history, the lives of the people and land in which they dwell. Only then will I be able to hear them more clearly.

I love writing for the wonderful places I am allowed to visit and the amazing people I can run into only in writing.

I want time, quiet time alone with music and sounds and smells that bring the story to my mind. I do not have that but will be desperately searching for it when the research is done.

I'm creating a time line now and it's helping greatly. 
Tara -
-------------------
Although taking risk does not guarantee success,
avoiding risk does guarantee failure.

Offline herron

• There's no burden heavier than a great potential.
    • Broken Glass
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2009, 03:50:21 PM »
I've always been involved with creative activity of some sort ... be it drawing, painting, photography, essays, or creative writing.

My whole career was built around it. Toward the end, I was managing others more than doing, and one of the things I'm most looking forward to is getting back to the doing part, just for me!
web: Broken Glass
blog: Painting With Light
media: RLH Media
The Book of Face: R. Herron, Author
Tweets: @ronherron

Offline PnelopeAshman

• Essays
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2010, 02:23:07 AM »
I used writing as an opportunity to express my feelings regardless of genre - essay, novel and down the line. Yet even I, prefer to write instead of telling what I want to express. Most of my ideas, thoughts, and opinions are all in the form of writing. 

I won't say ours was a tough school, but we had our own coroner. We used to write essays like: What I'm going to be if I grow up.

-Lenny Bruce-