Author Topic: Why do you enjoy writing?  (Read 20763 times)

Offline AJ Barnett

• AJ Barnett
Re: Why do you enjoy writing?
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2007, 11:49:33 AM »
Wave, wave.
Author of <a href="http://amzn.to/aoTuEI">SHORT MOMENTS</a> and <a href="http://amzn.to/92VNu3">WITHOUT REPROACH</a>

Articles
<a href="http://bit.ly/caC9MG">Publishing on Amazon Kindle</a>
<a href="http://bit.ly/hVXo91">Romantic Suspense</a>
<a href="http://bit.ly/9gWaZd">Dialogue in Writing</

Offline Joanna

• Joanna Sayers
    • Joanna Sayers - Freelance Writer
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2007, 12:07:48 PM »
Without wishing to trivialise brain dysfunction of any kind - it would appear you're amongst grand company ..the illustrious author and OBE holder, Terry Pratchett has today announced that he has recently been diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7141458.stm

Offline nitewriter

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2007, 09:26:34 PM »
I enjoy writing because it's not a JOB.  I haven't written enough though to convince myself that I'm good at what I do.  However, others have told me that my writing is really good.  One day perhaps I'll believe them.  For now, I struggle to make the time to sit and write and feel as though I am creating something worthwhile for someone, somewhere. 

Offline Paula

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2007, 02:27:14 PM »
I write because I love the escapism, and if I didn't my head may explode, and that could be messy.
...because that is what happens when fortune no longer favours the bold.

Offline HeidiC

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2007, 07:10:42 AM »
Why do you enjoy writing?

That is a hard one to answer. Creative writing is something I have always done, right from the age of four, so for me it's totally innate  so much so that I can't even consider it a hobby. I have to write like I have to breathe. I love learning about writing, I can't read a book or watch a film without analysing it's writerly elements, I can't fall asleep without thinking about characters and situations. If I could not create stories than I probably would have gone mad by now, it has gotten me through some pretty stressful times.

Offline CallForCries

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2007, 07:15:19 AM »
Being able to create life without the messy bit.  :D

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2007, 07:19:33 AM »
Since I wrote non-fiction, I didn't worry about the creative part. I knew I was creating what I gathered together and distilled into an essay and it felt "creative" as a process but not like writing fiction.

Then I started reading more about writing and learned a little more about the process of creating in fiction. The book I'm currently reading for a book club is supposed to be wonderful. I keep hearing "info dump" in my brain while I read page after page of background.

This writing stuff has made the reading stuff more of a critique than just a simple "I liked the book."

Patti
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline HeidiC

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2007, 08:45:51 AM »
This writing stuff has made the reading stuff more of a critique than just a simple "I liked the book."

SpChick, I get a negative vibe from your posting.Or perhaps you're just more grounded than me. The point you made is a valid one; I can't read (or watch programs on television for that matter) without delving into the whole make-up of it but that's part of the fun. If I had had the chance at school, maybe I would have really enjoyed dissecting small creatures.

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2007, 12:10:45 PM »
I don't know about a "negative vibe" but if you are thinking that I'm not liking the book I'm being "forced" to read - then you are correct. Usually when I find a book to be less than what I like to read, I stop reading it. I used to, a million years ago when I was young, force myself to finish any book I started. Then I noticed that there were far more books than I could ever read and opted to read only those that I liked reading.

This book has taken me over 2 weeks to read. I usually read a book in 2-3 days. Well, a book of this length anyway. But ... tonight is the book club and I have 100 pages left to read. And here I sit because I don't like the book. Isn't that a sad thing?

And I have to attend the book club because it is my turn to choose a book. I sure hope that my fellow readers aren't as dissatisfied with the book I'm choosing.

Patti

Offline HeidiC

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2007, 07:46:57 AM »
If a book doesn't interest you then you have every right not to waste your time reading it, that speaks louder than any critique. Can you tell us what the book is? I read the Da vinci Code because my book club sent me a free copy and although it was a good read -  well paced, well written - I could not see what all the hype was about. Could you put your finger on what you didn't like? If it helps you write better then at least you have gained something from it.

At least you're getting to choose the next book.

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2007, 08:27:32 AM »
On Basilisk Station by David Weber, first of the Honor Harrington series that now includes 11 books. So somebody likes them.

I know exactly what I didn't like. The book was 422 pages long. It was a 150 page story wrapped in way too much technical crap for my liking. The weaponry and tactical maneuvers were described in painstaking detail. Far more detail than I needed. The back story took the first 66 pages. There were too many characters, many with the same first initial.

ASIDE: I absolutely HATE when authors use the same first initial for too many things. The Author may be able to keep Mary and Matilda and Joan and John and Jacob all straight, but it makes it more difficult for the reader and there is no good reason on the face of the Earth for this. When I mentioned this, I got a chorus of agreeing nods and comments. Authors please take note.

The characters in the book I read were one-dimensional and stereotypical to extreme. The man who chose the book kept telling us that the characters develop over the course of the series. If you couldn't give your main character more depth in 422 pages, you lost me. I wouldn't pick up the next 3-4 400-page tomes to see if you could finally get something with depth put on paper.

I am a sci-fi buff and have been since I read Madelaine L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time when I was in third grade. I was embarrassed to think that some non science fiction buff would read this drivel and think that it represented the entire genre.

Apparently this is the way men like books written. Weaponry and tactical scheming over personality and relationship. But I've read Isaac Asimov and while he doesn't give the depth to his characters, they are 150 page stories told in 150 pages.

All I kept seeing in this book was "info dump" ad nauseum. Apparently people like it and the series has a following. I will not be included in that number. The man who recommended the book told me, when I specifically asked what would make me read the next book in the series, "They get better as you go along." Stunning.

Offline HeidiC

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2007, 07:16:30 AM »
It sounds like the perfect example of how not to write a book. I've never heard of it myself and I don't think I shall be seeking it out. It managed to get into print though so in some respects it means there's hope for all of us.

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2007, 02:05:02 PM »
with all that about names stuff:

I have two characters over at the station. One of them is Cassie/Cassandra/Cassiopeia and the other was merely an idea not quite thought through to completion She needed a name and I was stuck with my Construct and named her Con.

So out of two people they are Con and Cassie - both with the same letter. Humpf
I wish I could fix it, but I don't know how.
Patti

Offline Rob Hopcott

• Humorous online standup comedy, humour and jokes by Rob Hopcott
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2007, 03:58:29 PM »
But writing is not only about the process, it is also about the product.

When I produce something that really hangs together and start to get feedback on my sites that others think it's a good read, I really feel I've achieved something.

Sure, I write because of lots of reasons - like not being able to stop - but having something that is as real as a statue that people can relate to is also really important to me.

Offline Omni

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2007, 06:34:55 AM »
Apparently this is the way men like books written. Weaponry and tactical scheming over personality and relationship.

That's like saying women like romance novels. It's stereotyping, and stereotyping is ugly. People who stereotype should be shot. With a top of the range, automatic range-finding, Mark XII Jackson-Webber, complete with self-cleaning chamber and chrome handle. Not the early Mark XII, with the plain strap, but the later model with the strap made from the hide of a Venusian bladder-rat. A Mark XII with the optional rapid-load attachment, converted to fire the large bore seek-on-entry shells that were popular in the second Man-Kzoooooberoid war, used with great success in the Battle of Alpha Ridge. Or maybe a Mark XIII with the mega-phonic hypertronic-wobbulator (and optional pulverizer).

Omni