Author Topic: Why do you enjoy writing?  (Read 24836 times)

Offline Writers Block

Why do you enjoy writing?
« on: December 08, 2007, 07:54:30 PM »
What is it about the process of actually writing that appeals to you all?

For me, it's the sheer pleasure of the process: the creation itself. Doesn't matter if I end up happy or disapointed in it, I just get a thrill from it.
I tend to critique in a harsh manner. Please remember it is not personal, but how I prefer anyone critiqueing me to be. It is far more useful IMO.

WB

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Offline Xerika

• Rob Johnson - writing, podcasting and reluctantly olive farming
Re: Why do you enjoy writing?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 08:23:41 PM »
I need to think about this but my first reaction is to say that if I wasn't a writer I'd never have joined MWC, never have met you, and never have had our spectacular arguments  ;).

Somewhat more seriously, I once read something by Dennis Potter about why he wrote which struck a chord. Give me a while and I'll look it up.
http://rob-johnson.org.uk/ - writing, podcasting and reluctant olive farming

"I'd Rather Eat My Own Face" podcast. The truth about olive harvesting. http://wp.me/p2bC2C-8U

"If it sounds like writing, I rewrite it." - Elmore Leonard

PaulW

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 08:34:13 PM »
I love the point when the writing takes on a momentum of it's own. That is when you get the moments where you find yourself tied up in the emotions your characters are feeling, sitting like an idiot at the keyboard laughing hysterically or sobbing like a child.

Or in dialogue sections where one of your characters says something so interesting that you are left thinking, 'wow, that is clever, I never thought of that'. I like when my characters are better than I am, when they do the right thing, where I'd have chickened out.

They're usually way better dancers than me too. :)

I absolutely love the times when I've written a section of a story that has totally taken me by surprise. I remember sitting once when the true antagonist had been revealed in the last chapter, totally shocked at what had happened. I really thought it was going to be someone else. (Yeah, I know this sounds insane - but it's true). I realised I'd been putting in little clues to this since chapter 2, so it must have been percolating in my subconscious for a while. I literally sat back, too stunned to carry on for a while though.

So writing ends up like having conversations with my 'better half'. I really wish I could be more like him sometimes. ;)

Paul

Offline Verse Liverty

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 08:37:07 PM »
I enjoy it because I get to meet all the wonderfully stupid people online and all the wonderfully intelligent people online.

I'm not good at math, so figuring out that ratio of 10000000000:75 is also educational.
Two types of people.

Dumb people and dead people.

"You're allowed to love, aren't you?"
   -- Brittany Breakdown

Offline Cathy C

• Procrastination is the thief of time.
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 08:40:13 PM »
What is it about the process of actually writing that appeals to you all

All of it, WB - the ups, the downs, the frustration, the dreams.....

But, mostly it's the joy of that perfect 'paragraph'. The bliss when the words, for once, almost write themselves.

I can't NOT write - if I do, I end up 'composing' my dreams - seriously - they become dialogue, with fully formed characters that haunt me until I put them on paper. :-\

*Cathy ducks, waiting for the little men in white coats to cart her away.*
Novel: Where There’s Smoke. Published by Fireborn publishing http://amzn.to/2tZKNCn

Short Story: A Killer Week Published by Bridge House http://amzn.to/2rhLVAX

Offline Cathy C

• Procrastination is the thief of time.
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 08:41:32 PM »
Darn! Can EVERYONE type faster than me? >:(
Novel: Where There’s Smoke. Published by Fireborn publishing http://amzn.to/2tZKNCn

Short Story: A Killer Week Published by Bridge House http://amzn.to/2rhLVAX

PaulW

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 08:47:35 PM »
Verse: Ah, but the trick is in defining which side of the ratio you are on yourself, and therefore your ability to judge. ;)

Cathy: Yep, it's established scientific fact ;)

Offline Verse Liverty

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 08:49:17 PM »
The insane don't know it.

If I were with the countless, I'd not know it.

Since I do know my grass is greener, I can look across the colon and see all the quacks.
Two types of people.

-- Brittany Breakdown

PaulW

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 08:51:23 PM »
Dammit nurse - these other Napoleons are all FAKES I tell you! ;)

Offline Verse Liverty

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 08:53:46 PM »
You're insane, then?

Belated congratulations.

Two types of people.

-- Brittany Breakdown

PaulW

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 08:57:12 PM »
Was there ever any doubt?  ;)  I write as a demonic duck! Maybe it leads me to overestimate people.

Offline Verse Liverty

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 08:59:19 PM »
You know what they say.

He who can't insert, pursues.
Two types of people.

-- Brittany Breakdown

PaulW

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 09:07:18 PM »
Yeah right, whatever.

Anyway, back on topic. I also particularly like the rewrites. Where you get to put that final polish on your words when enough time has passed that it's almost new to you. I know some people think they're a pain, but it's nice to have something already there that you can just improve and polish.

Actually I'm hard pushed to think of the parts of writing I don't enjoy. The business side of it is a different matter, the writing itself is a joy though.

Offline Writers Block

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 10:07:48 PM »
I need to think about this but my first reaction is to say that if I wasn't a writer I'd never have joined MWC, never have met you, and never have had our spectacular arguments  ;).

Always good. ;D ::)

Somewhat more seriously, I once read something by Dennis Potter about why he wrote which struck a chord. Give me a while and I'll look it up.

You not back yet? Stop slackin' and find it. :P
I tend to critique in a harsh manner. Please remember it is not personal, but how I prefer anyone critiqueing me to be. It is far more useful IMO.

WB

Offline Writers Block

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 10:11:18 PM »
I absolutely love the times when I've written a section of a story that has totally taken me by surprise. I remember sitting once when the true antagonist had been revealed in the last chapter, totally shocked at what had happened. I really thought it was going to be someone else. (Yeah, I know this sounds insane - but it's true). I realised I'd been putting in little clues to this since chapter 2, so it must have been percolating in my subconscious for a while. I literally sat back, too stunned to carry on for a while though.

Paul

I remember the first time something happened that totally wasn't expected. My character (heroine) went off to check out some bad guy threating her friend. I was like, wow. I never thought of that. Doh.

Funny:) They dance better, look better, know all the moves, and are damn well nice too. But not too nice.  ;)

WB