Author Topic: Is sixty too late to overcome fear of rejection? PS: I See Angels  (Read 3783 times)

Offline Susan Kay

• Intuitive ~ Artist ~ Aspiring Author
Being an aspiring author at sixty years old gives me a sense of urgency.  Although, with good genetics I could have at least forty seven more years to become an accomplished author of self-help and fictional children‘s books.  However, fear of rejection and criticism has stopped me from completing the books I’ve begun.   Like Susan Jeffery’s book title says, “Feel the fear and do it anyway”.   That is my mantra for this dive into the unknown waters of The Writers Circle.  Yes, I  purchased and started, but have yet to finish Nick’s course, “How to Write a Book in 28 Days”.   It’s been over 365-days since I began it.  I want to finish at least one book before the end of 2008.  Perhaps, with the guidance, inspiration, and encouragement of this group there is hope.

As long as I’m taking the plunge, I may as well let you all know up front, I see Angels and paint them.  And upon occasion they are actually my client’s loved ones who have crossed over.  No, I do not claim to be a medium.  In fact, I resist this part of my work when it shows up.  I am a spiritual intuitive who has conducted over 1,500 Angel-vision readings since my 1987 miraculous angelic event.  (That’s a story in one of my unfinished books)   Prior to that life-altering experience, I was on the advertising agency success treadmill as a creative director, fashion illustrator, and copywriter.   

I have written and taught 36-weeks of “The Soul-Awakened Life” courses and have several unfinished children’s Angel-tales gathering dust in my studio.  With this new earthly connection to other aspiring authors and published authors, I intend to become more courageous about finishing and successfully publishing the books that are daily calling to me.

I welcome any guidance that will help me get to know this group and all of its resources. 

Nick, thanks for providing and hosting The Writer's Circle!

Susan Kay
California, USA
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 05:03:34 PM by Susan Kay »
In this moment, I release my fears and allow the light of peace and inspiration to seep in through the pores of my soul.

Offline Maxine

Re: Is sixty too late to overcome fear of rejection? PS: I See Angels
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 12:17:20 PM »
Hi Susan, no sixty is not too old.  Writing is a career that you can and should do whenever you feel ready, be it at sixteen or sixty.  This is one of the joys of writing - age does not matter.
MWC is one of the best places for encouragement and honest feed back.  Welcome and I look forward to seeing some of your work posted here.
Maxine
Wolves civilised man

www.thehardline.wordpress.com
The Station Shorts Anthology
http://books.lulu.com/content/171061

Offline Cathy C

• Procrastination is the thief of time.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 02:49:38 PM »
Hi, Susan and welcome to MWC.

I think 'fear of rejection and criticism' stops a lot of writers - in the beginning.

But the need to write is so much stronger than our fear that we are compelled to get the words down on paper and be damned to the consequences.

I've found (And I know others have to) that MWC really helps in the confidence building department - sharing your thoughts/work/hopes/fears with the other members is quite... liberating. ;D

So no, in answer to your question, it's NEVER TOO LATE!

Ok, formal bit:

Not many rules here, but please take the time to check out the forum etiquette guidelines (at the top of this board) and the stickies on each section. (They should answer any initial questions you might have)

Anything else you're unsure of, just ask - there's always someone willing to help.

Cathy C 
Novel: Where There’s Smoke. Published by Fireborn publishing http://amzn.to/2tZKNCn

Short Story: A Killer Week Published by Bridge House http://amzn.to/2rhLVAX

Offline Susan Kay

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 04:45:18 PM »
Hi Maxine & Cathy,

Thanks so much for the warm welcoming encouragement and wisdom.  Writing is something I do daily in my journal, but this is my first adventure in sharing who I am, as well as what I think, experience & write with an internet audience.   

Do either of you have advise on how to protect the copyright of original work when posting it on the critique board?  Or is this just another test of trust and courage? 

I am looking forward to exploring The Writer's Circle resources and getting to know other writers.   ;D

Susan Kay
In this moment, I release my fears and allow the light of peace and inspiration to seep in through the pores of my soul.

Offline Cathy C

• Procrastination is the thief of time.
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 05:09:44 PM »
This comes up so many times, Susan.

I've done a quick check on SEARCH and found two threads that might interest you (There are more but I just can't find them at the moment)

http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=8973.0

http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=445.0

See if these help - if not, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to set your mind at rest. ;)
Novel: Where There’s Smoke. Published by Fireborn publishing http://amzn.to/2tZKNCn

Short Story: A Killer Week Published by Bridge House http://amzn.to/2rhLVAX

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 06:37:11 PM »
Susan,

Writing is one profession where age can be a positive advantage.  If you've spent your sixty years looking at things, noticing people amd what they do, you have an advantage over the sixteen year old who may have a vivid imagination but doesn't yet understand what they are seeing.  Life is a great teacher as long as you've been an apt student ;-)

Welcome aboard.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Big T

• Cheers, enjoy your day!
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 08:10:26 PM »
Hello Susan,
I would never dream of telling you how old I am, two more horizons to pass and I will be as old as you think you are today  ;)
Your 'angels' are intriguing me already.
I started writing late, would love to have something published but reality brings me to earth. MWC helped (and still is helping).The learning curve never ends!
I'm positive you will enjoy your time here. Welcome.

T
Big T  :o

Nadine L

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 12:00:22 AM »
Susan Kay,

Nope, 60 isn't too old. I could list numerous examples, but what the heck. (I'm a moderator, just take my word for it!)

You aren't going to be rejected at MWC (remember, I'm a mod, I know this stuff).

Seriously, post your work for review when YOU are ready. Even blunt comments, of which there will be few blunt ones, are meant to team with you to improve your work and confidence.

Despite the fact that we are a world wide group of writers with many measurable differences among us, we have this inexplicable bonding thing happening here. If you have questions ask. The moderators are the people with blue stars; Carrie, Cathy, Lin, Saturnine, Symphony, and myself...our fearless leaders are Nick and Karl. But, any one of the members will be glad to help you feel at home at MWC.

Hope this helped. No idea why I'm being so giddy tonight, perhaps too much sugar in my diet. Oh, and I'm the American mod and I was born and raised in California, so we're practically twins!

Welcome! We're glad you're here.

Nadine

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • Station Shorts
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 02:03:03 AM »
Hi Susan. Welcome to MWC.

You're never too old to become what you've always wanted to be. Besides, age is just a number. When I'm  not Punderella, you can find me wearing a cliché crown from time to time. ;D

It's great to have you on board.

P.S. I believe in Angels. I've met one or two myself. ;)

Look forward to getting to know you and reading your offerings.

Have a bountiful day!

~Deb
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 07:09:26 PM by DGSquared »
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline Susan Kay

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 10:27:52 AM »
Hi Deb, Nadine & Gyppo,

Thanks for all of your delightful welcome aboard messages! 

~ Deb, please tell me more about Punderella and the angels you've met.  I looked up your profile and didn’t see any clues.  Punderella sounds like an children’s book character...?  How did you become a Hero Member so quickly.  Actually, what does that mean?  Okay, I’ll stop with the questions and do a bit of exploring on the site. 

~ Nadine,  Thanks for giving me a most hospitable introduction to MWC and letting me know to expect rejections when I post my work.  Ouch!  I’ll need to prepare a bit for that reality.  Good to meet another USA neighbor.  What I like about the possibilities of MWC is that I’m already finding it a borderless global experience.

~ Gyppo, Thanks for the insight!  Experiences I’ve had.  Wisdom I am still gathering, and a student I will always be. 

;D 

Susan

Offline thatollie

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 12:46:53 PM »
Welcome
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline CarrieSheppard

• All it took was a visit to AZ...
    • My blog pages
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 03:31:26 PM »
Hi Susan

Glad to have you with us.

Look forward to seeing you on the boards, and can you share any of your pictures with us too?  There's a few other painters on here (there's a thread on here somewhere... Patron posted I think).

Carrie

Offline Susan Kay

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 04:49:44 PM »
Hi Carrie,

Patron's posting about his mural was the first spot I visited and posted after joining MWC. (See quote from my post and art below.  Couldn't figure out out to use the quote insert properly.  Yes, I am technically challenged.  Need more point'n click time on this site.)

I would like to share more of my work, but am a bit concerned about copyright protection.  I have many original angel paintings that were reproduced as an inspirational greeting card line in California, and would not want to see them show up across the globe.  I read some feedback from another moderator yesterday on this issue, but it didn't address all of my concerns.  If I do decide to post more art, where and how is the best way to proceed on MWC?

Thanks for the welcome. I intend to become braver in my postings.

Susan

Quote from Patron's post:

"I too, would love to see pictures of your mural.  You certainly painted it my imagination with your description!  I am an intuitive artist and an aspiring author.  The first mural I ever painted was created on hollow core doors in acrylics.  The attached file is a cropped version of the four panels that make up the 7' x 12' mural.  It was the most difficult task of painting that I've ever attempted, since acrylic dries so quickly and I've never had formal training in painting murals.  These four mural panels now live in three areas of my home.  Two at the top of a staircase.  One in my kitchen.  And one in my art studio storage area. 

I wanted to paint the walls of our new home, but my husband discouraged this idea saying that our home already looks too much like an art gallery.  Your story has inspired me to paint the some walls after I down a couple of glasses of White Zinfindel.  Maybe then I won't be so concerned about needing permission.      ;D    Is your mural completed?  I hope you keep those intuitive muses busy by continuing the creative process of painting from the heart of your imagination."
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 05:07:00 PM by Susan Kay »

Offline thatollie

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 04:57:22 PM »
I'm surprised you even found his post, it's been receding into the background for a couple of months.
Perhaps it's a sign that Patron is the next of the flock of returning members.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • Station Shorts
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 07:35:41 PM »
Hi Deb, Nadine & Gyppo,

Thanks for all of your delightful welcome aboard messages! 

~ Deb, please tell me more about Punderella and the angels you've met.  I looked up your profile and didn’t see any clues.  Punderella sounds like an children’s book character...?  How did you become a Hero Member so quickly.  Actually, what does that mean?  Okay, I’ll stop with the questions and do a bit of exploring on the site. 

;D 

Susan

So nice to be in such great company. :D

Susan, I was trying to be punny and have been known to be prone to the frequent bad joke. My friend is the real Queen Punderella. I'm just the
princess who tries to impersonate a comedienne. I think it's hormonal imbalance. ;) I have toyed with the book idea and Punderella title and have a few pages tucked away. After my original projects are closer to completion, I'll attack that idea file.

As for the angels, I'll save that for another day. I've posted enough madness on here for one day to last a few years. Caffeine imbalance coupled with stress and lack of sleep.  :o

Hero Member? Ha! That's a nice way to put it. Basically, I talk too much and this has become my refuge from the real world and the place I love to procrastinate in.

Question all you want. I'm very easy going and don't mind a bit.

Love your mural. I'm an artist too. Tole painting and charcoal drawing are my favorites. Don't do much anymore since I can't leave projects out with the kids around. I'm too fussy about my tools and art supplies.

Looking forward to getting to know you and seeing you around.

~Deb
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb