Author Topic: Quotes that make you stop  (Read 271431 times)

Offline Neghe

Re: Quotes that make you stop
« Reply #1125 on: April 03, 2014, 01:23:44 PM »
It's not the words but the thoughts behind them that make a particular piece of writing significant and noteworthy.  --Nee.

“Poetry is what happens when nothing else can.”― Charles Bukowski

Offline Vienna

« Reply #1126 on: April 04, 2014, 03:24:20 PM »
Certainly all historical experience confirms the truth - that man would not have attained the possible unless time and again he had reached out for the impossible. - Max Weber

Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • Station Shorts
« Reply #1127 on: April 04, 2014, 04:13:42 PM »

“What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though.”

― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline DGSquared

• Station Shorts
« Reply #1128 on: April 04, 2014, 04:16:49 PM »

Ray Bradbury

“You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.”

― Ray Bradbury, Zen in the Art of Writing
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline Vienna

« Reply #1129 on: April 04, 2014, 04:23:44 PM »
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are. - Somerset Maugham

Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline McWawa

« Reply #1130 on: April 07, 2014, 02:24:45 PM »
"The writings by which one can live are not the writings which themselves live, and never those in which the writer does his best. . . . Those who have to support themselves by their pen must depend on literary drudgery, or best on writings addressed to the multitude."

John Stuart Mill. Autobiography.

Which reminds me that i ought start a seperate thread regarding the books/course material published and advertised through this website which promise, if studied, earnings from ones writing. I have been waiting near seven years to read, here in the Forum, the accolades and of the successes.
"Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?",
Axel Oxenstierna

Offline The Skald

« Reply #1131 on: April 07, 2014, 03:22:39 PM »
A few from Rambo:

"I don't think you understand. I didn't come to rescue Rambo from you. I came here to rescue you from him."

"We were in this bar in Saigon and this kid comes up, this kid carrying a shoe-shine box. And he says "Shine, please, shine!" I said no. He kept askin', yeah, and Joey said "Yeah." And I went to get a couple of beers, and the box was wired, and he opened up the box, fucking blew his body all over the place. And he's laying there, he's fucking screaming. There's pieces of him all over me, just... like this, and I'm tryin' to pull him off, you know, my friend that's all over me! I've got blood and everything and I'm tryin' to hold him together! I'm puttin'... the guy's fuckin' insides keep coming out! And nobody would help! Nobody would help! He's saying, sayin' "I wanna go home! I wanna go home!" He keeps calling my name! "I wanna go home, Johnny! I wanna drive my Chevy!" I said "With what? I can't find your fuckin' legs! I can't find your legs!"

Trautman: You did everything to make this private war happen. You've done enough damage. This mission is over, Rambo. Do you understand me? This mission is over! Look at them out there! Look at them! If you won't end this now, they will kill you. Is that what you want? It's over Johnny. It's over!

Rambo: Nothing is over! Nothing! You just don't turn it off! It wasn't my war! You asked me, I didn't ask you! And I did what I had to do to win! But somebody wouldn't let us win! And I come back to the world and I see all those maggots at the airport, protesting me, spitting. Calling me baby killer and all kinds of vile crap! Who are they to protest me? Who are they? Unless they've been me and been there and know what the hell they're yelling about!

Trautman: It was a bad time for everyone, Rambo. It's all in the past now.

Rambo: For *you*! For me civilian life is nothing! In the field we had a code of honor, you watch my back, I watch yours. Back here there's nothing!

Trautman: You're the last of an elite group, don't end it like this.

Rambo: Back there I could fly a gunship, I could drive a tank, I was in charge of million dollar equipment, back here I can't even hold a job *parking cars*!

JewelAS53

« Reply #1132 on: April 08, 2014, 04:10:24 AM »
There are only two races on this planet - the intelligent and the stupid
John Fowles

Would that the world would learn this one  :-\

Offline DGSquared

• Station Shorts
« Reply #1133 on: April 08, 2014, 07:46:20 PM »
Lead me not
   into temptation

Oh, Hell,
 who am I kidding?

Follow me,
I know a shortcut.

Psalms altered by unknown smart aleck. 

Waiting for this thread...  ;)
Which reminds me that i ought start a seperate thread regarding the books/course material published and advertised through this website which promise, if studied, earnings from ones writing. I have been waiting near seven years to read, here in the Forum, the accolades and of the successes.

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #1134 on: April 09, 2014, 10:55:48 AM »
Good fiction creates empathy. A novel takes you somewhere and asks you to look through the eyes of another person, to live another life.

Barbara Kingsolver, novelist, essayist, and poet (b. 1955)

(I can't help wondering if Kingsolver was her birth name or if it's one she took for publishing. Either way, it's a dilly.  ;)  )
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #1135 on: April 12, 2014, 10:43:06 AM »
Fiction gives us a second chance that life denies us.

Paul Theroux, novelist (b. 1941)
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline Neghe

« Reply #1136 on: April 13, 2014, 12:15:10 AM »

"Without deviation progress is not possible."

"Scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe."

"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something."

"I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird."

--Frank Zappa.

“Poetry is what happens when nothing else can.”― Charles Bukowski

Offline DGSquared

• Station Shorts
« Reply #1137 on: April 13, 2014, 03:14:55 AM »
“The arts are not a way to make a living. They are a very human way of making life more bearable. Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven’s sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possibly can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something.”

~ Kurt Vonnegut  A Man Without a Country, 2005

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline The Skald

« Reply #1138 on: April 13, 2014, 05:56:52 AM »
Arya Stark: You're a liar.
Gendry: You know you shouldn't insult people that are bigger than you are.
Arya Stark: Then I wouldn't get to insult anyone.

;D

Offline Don

• Murder & mayhem for fun and profit.
« Reply #1139 on: April 13, 2014, 07:38:59 AM »
Arya Stark: You're a liar.
Gendry: You know you shouldn't insult people that are bigger than you are.
Arya Stark: Then I wouldn't get to insult anyone.

Quotes should be posted with author attribution.
In this case, it's George R. R. Martin.
I have a motto: when in doubt, go for the cheap laugh.