Author Topic: Quotes that make you stop  (Read 318535 times)

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • Station Shorts
Re: Quotes that make you stop
« Reply #135 on: January 10, 2008, 01:21:50 AM »
"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the man in the oval office" ~ Monica Lewinski
Oh, you are soooo bad.  ::)

“Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose.”
 ~Tom Krause quotes

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline Mark H

• Middleclass Machismo now available.
« Reply #136 on: January 10, 2008, 06:09:56 AM »
"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the man in the oval office" ~ Monica Lewinski

"I have been driven gagging to my knees by the man with the awful orifice." ~ Unknown
Buy Bristle Side Down, The Man Who Wore Brown Shoes and Middleclass Machismo here:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=570142

If poetry is not your thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PueM04F0Qz8 or: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Zm8cj9MGg

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #137 on: January 10, 2008, 07:18:43 AM »
is the 'awful orifice' in any way related to The Queens 'annis horribilis'?  Probably not, but in this circle of mendacious word-wranglers all things are possible.  Even an un-planned incarceration in the Tower ;-)
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #138 on: January 10, 2008, 07:43:35 AM »
"Literature is an occupation in which you have to keep proving your talent to people who have none." - Jules Renard

"Inspiration is wonderful when it happens, but the writer must develop an approach for the rest of the time... The wait is simply too long." - Leonard Bernstein
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline DGSquared

• Station Shorts
« Reply #139 on: January 10, 2008, 05:16:27 PM »
“It takes more courage to reveal insecurities than to hide them, more strength to relate to people than to dominate them, more 'manhood' to abide by thought-out principles rather than blind reflex. Toughness is in the soul and spirit, not in muscles and an immature mind.”

~Alex Karras

*   *   *

“Confront the dark parts of yourself, and work to banish them with illumination and forgiveness. Your willingness to wrestle with your demons will cause your angels to sing. Use the pain as fuel, as a reminder of your strength.”

~August Wilson

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline thatollie

« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2008, 09:48:57 AM »
Life is like a one legged man at an ass-kicking contest. No matter how good you get at it, you always wonder, "what if..."
thatollie 11/1/08
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline McWawa

« Reply #141 on: January 12, 2008, 03:46:45 AM »
"Some people have a large circle of friends while others have only friends that they like".

anon.

Years ago fairy tales began with "Once upon a time . . .".
Now it's "If I am elected . . .".

"Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?",
Axel Oxenstierna

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #142 on: January 13, 2008, 07:14:26 AM »
I don't think any good book is based on factual experience. Bad books are about things the writer already knew before he wrote them. -
Carlos Fuentes

A well adjusted person is one who makes the same mistake twice without getting nervous. - Jane Heard

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2008, 07:20:12 AM »

A well adjusted person is one who makes the same mistake twice without getting nervous. - Jane Heard

In that case, in some areas of my life, I must be remarkably well adjusted.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline McWawa

« Reply #144 on: January 13, 2008, 03:16:31 PM »
“It takes more courage to reveal insecurities than to hide them, more strength to relate to people than to dominate them, more 'manhood' to abide by thought-out principles rather than blind reflex. Toughness is in the soul and spirit, not in muscles and an immature mind.”

~Alex Karras

*   *   *

“Confront the dark parts of yourself, and work to banish them with illumination and forgiveness. Your willingness to wrestle with your demons will cause your angels to sing. Use the pain as fuel, as a reminder of your strength.”

~August Wilson

Quotes that made me stop ? These two quotes have made me stop and just now I am unable, or unwilling, to  come up with any more myself to post here. Thank You for posting these, I have just read them.

Bryan
"Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?",
Axel Oxenstierna

Offline thatollie

« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2008, 05:43:05 PM »
I don't think any good book is based on factual experience. Bad books are about things the writer already knew before he wrote them. -
Carlos Fuentes
Absolutely, a long held belief of mine.

"20 to 30 grand, in small bills cash, in that little silk purse. If this were any other wedding, sfortunato."
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline DGSquared

• Station Shorts
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2008, 08:59:44 PM »
Quotes that made me stop ? These two quotes have made me stop and just now I am unable, or unwilling, to  come up with any more myself to post here. Thank You for posting these, I have just read them.

Bryan

You're welcome Bryan.  :)  I was looking for some strength and doing some soul searching myself when I found these. Don't be too hard on yourself, our demons can deceive us into thinking we are worse or worse off than we actually are. Take good care of yourself.

~Deb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #147 on: January 14, 2008, 07:37:06 AM »
"If there is a special Hell for writers it would be in the forced contemplation of their own works."
 --  John Dos Passos

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #148 on: January 22, 2008, 04:42:14 PM »
Critics are sentinels in the grand army of letters, stationed at the corners of newspapers and reviews, to challenge every new author.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Offline Majere26

« Reply #149 on: January 24, 2008, 10:48:18 AM »
"The greatest trick the Devil ever did, was to convince the world he didn't exist"--Source unknown, but heard in a movie.