Author Topic: Quotes that make you stop  (Read 278264 times)

Offline The Skald

Re: Quotes that make you stop
« Reply #975 on: May 04, 2013, 04:00:42 PM »
"I'll kick your ass so hard a Donkey Kong game falls out, and you get a highscore!"

;D ;D ;D

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #976 on: May 06, 2013, 01:43:01 PM »
Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own, which is the chief reason for that kind of reception it meets in the world, and that so very few are offended with it.

Jonathan Swift, satirist (1667-1745)
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline SparkGirl

« Reply #977 on: May 09, 2013, 03:34:32 PM »
"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - that is to have succeeded" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline The Skald

« Reply #978 on: May 09, 2013, 04:39:01 PM »
Time for a few Haven quotes. God, I love this show...  ;D

"This would be weird even if we weren't meeting in a giant supernatural steam room."

"Now don't let them cut this shirt off, it's a winner."

"Gear down there Champ, I'm the one without a gun."
"That doesn't mean you're still not dangerous."
"Right, because only the most hard-core criminals roll with only one shoe."

"We are not messing with the time space continuum so you can work out your daddy issues."

"Hey, I got a question for you. As my doctor, not as my cheerleader vampire slayer."
"Hold on, changing hats. Okay."

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #979 on: May 16, 2013, 08:03:05 AM »
Don't forget - no one else sees the world the way you do, so no one else can tell the stories that you have to tell.
    Charles de Lint
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #980 on: May 16, 2013, 08:06:41 AM »
If you think of the story that you tell that's your favorite personal story, or funny story, it doesn't have flashy sentences. It doesn't have too much detail. It just tells the story.
    James Patterson

I got a mailing called The Kelly Gram  bob@kellygram.com for subscription. It isn't always on writing, but it is always on words which is why I subscribe. It is once a month.

But what I love about the above quote is the last five words.
Patterson sells quite a few books, he probably knows stuff. He doesn't show a story, he tells it. This is the issue I have with too many new books. They are so busy showing me the moonlight glinting that the story is lost.

Offline Vienna

« Reply #981 on: May 16, 2013, 09:08:57 AM »
Gargle gargle music gargle ga daddy..... 

Kilian dalton aged 20 months  ;D
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline Gayle

• "The Story Book" (1877) by William Bourguereau
« Reply #982 on: May 16, 2013, 10:09:21 AM »
If you think of the story that you tell that's your favorite personal story, or funny story, it doesn't have flashy sentences. It doesn't have too much detail. It just tells the story.
    James Patterson

I have to disagree with you about the usefulness of this quote, Chicky. It may sound very clever from a reader's point of view, but from a writer's point of view it is all but useless. "It just tells the story." And what does that mean in real, working terms? Less than nothing. Telling the story is a complex process, and it happens on an endless number levels: character building, plotting, dialogue writing, research, theme building and making all those aspects work together. Saying "just tell that story" to a novice writer is like saying "just build that house" to a contractor's apprentice. Mindless and just as useless.
"I was born of writing. Before that, there was only a play of mirrors." - Jean Paul Sartre

Offline Chizzy

« Reply #983 on: May 16, 2013, 10:26:22 AM »
It advises a novice writer not to over-elaborate, not to drown the story in pointless detail. It's like telling your contractor's apprentice to build a house but to maybe not bother with the turrets and indoor swimming pools and secret passages and helipad. Just build a house.
This is not an exit.

Offline Gayle

• "The Story Book" (1877) by William Bourguereau
« Reply #984 on: May 16, 2013, 10:52:58 AM »
I understand the concept, but it's still overwhelming for a novice. Write a story how? Perhaps it's because I've lived my entire adult life in the "information age" (or misinformation age as I prefer to think of it), but I'm sick to death of 2-second sound bites that make the person sound clever at the time, but turn out to be meaningless if you take the time to think about it.

If the Patterson quote was part of a larger lecture, and taken in context then the lecture might give new writers something to go on. But as a quote, it tells you nothing and teaches nothing.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 10:58:10 AM by Gayle »
"I was born of writing. Before that, there was only a play of mirrors." - Jean Paul Sartre

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #985 on: May 16, 2013, 12:37:12 PM »
And yet every time someone tells a story, they are hit with this:

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
Anton Chekhov 

like that is the Holy Grail and the Almighty Gospel of HOW TO WRITE.

Offline Chizzy

« Reply #986 on: May 16, 2013, 12:44:44 PM »
You ask, ďWrite a story how?Ē I donít think this is a question Paterson is trying to answer here. To me, this isnít advice to the man on the street who has never picked up a pen in his life. This is advice to people who understand the fundamentals of fiction writing, who know what a beginning, middle, and end is, who have a concept of plot, who have written their story or a number of stories and donít know why they keep on picking up rejections from even the smallest of e-zines or mags and are now thinking, okay so now what? And itís good advice. Itís advice that I doubt any published writer would disagree with Ö if for no other reason than to disagree is to say that itís perfectly fine to fill our fiction with complex obscure irrelevancies.

But what he does over and above saying ďdonít fill your story with tonnes of detail or irrelevanciesĒ (which I agree is something that arguably may only make sense to a writer with a few rejections under their belt) is give context. He gives an everyday example that applies to everyone, whether theyíre a writer or not. Because everyone, whether or not theyíre a writer, whether or not they have any desire to become a writer, everyone has heard an incredibly entertaining story in the pub with their friends or over dinner with their families. Most people have told such a story in such an environment. And those stories tend to be simply told.

So to the novice writer, heís telling them something they instinctively already know because itís something they do outside of their writing life. His advice here is to apply that in their writing.

Is it a three sentence lesson thatís going to be a key to unlock all the foundational mysteries of writing? Well, no. But I donít think itís trying to be.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 06:22:51 PM by Chizzy »
This is not an exit.

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #987 on: May 16, 2013, 12:53:08 PM »
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Leo Buscaglia, author (1924-1998)
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline Light

« Reply #988 on: May 16, 2013, 01:25:11 PM »
"It's the space between the bars that holds the tiger. And it's the silence between the notes that makes the music. It is out of the silence, or "the gap," or that space between our thoughts, that everything is created-including our own bliss." - Dr. Wayne W. Dyer

Offline James Josiah

« Reply #989 on: May 16, 2013, 05:03:56 PM »
"There is an inverse relationship between imagination and money"

Alan Moore (about the V for Vendetta film)