Author Topic: Quotes that make you stop  (Read 279626 times)

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • Station Shorts
Re: Quotes that make you stop
« Reply #1050 on: November 29, 2013, 07:09:53 AM »
"The difference between the right and the nearly right word is the same as that between lightning and the lightning bug." 
                                                                                                                                                                   ~  Mark Twain
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline thatollie

« Reply #1051 on: December 05, 2013, 12:03:07 AM »
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Hippyhighway

« Reply #1052 on: December 05, 2013, 12:27:29 PM »
I don't know the author of this quote, maybe someone here does?

'If you always do, what you've always done.  You'll always get, what you've always got.'

I love this quote and I try to live my life by it.  If something is not what working, be it in my personal life or my work life, then I try to adapt and change.  And I am happy to say I only have one or two regrets.

Offline thatollie

« Reply #1053 on: December 07, 2013, 01:04:02 AM »
"No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite."
- Nelson Mandela

Offline Skip Slocum

• Writers are dreamers with pens
« Reply #1054 on: December 08, 2013, 02:59:52 PM »
“. . . Clocks ticked but time did not pass . . .”  – ‘We Are Marshal’

InterestedNewbie

« Reply #1055 on: December 11, 2013, 10:51:33 AM »
Scratch any cynic and you will find a disappointed idealist.

Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.

If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it

To each there comes in their lifetime a special moment when they are figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing, unique to them and fitted to their talents. What a tragedy if that moment finds them unprepared or unqualified for that which could have been their finest hour.

Walk with the dreamers, the believers, the courageous, the cheerful, the planners, the doers, the successful people with their heads in the clouds and their feet on the ground. Let their spirit ignite a fire within you to leave this world better than when you found it…

If other people do not understand our behavior—so what? Their request that we must only do what they understand is an attempt to dictate to us. If this is being “asocial” or “irrational” in their eyes, so be it. Mostly they resent our freedom and our courage to be ourselves. We owe nobody an explanation or an accounting, as long as our acts do not hurt or infringe on them. How many lives have been ruined by this need to “explain,” which usually implies that the explanation be “understood,” i.e. approved. Let your deeds be judged, and from your deeds, your real intentions, but know that a free person owes an explanation only to himself—to his reason and his conscience—and to the few who may have a justified claim for explanation

JewelAS53

« Reply #1056 on: December 17, 2013, 05:23:54 AM »
Duty is what no-one else will do at the moment.
- Penelope Fitzgerald

Jeremiah

« Reply #1057 on: December 20, 2013, 10:20:12 AM »
Happiness is not the absence of problems; it's the ability to deal with them.

JewelAS53

« Reply #1058 on: January 02, 2014, 12:56:07 AM »
I feel like part of the vanishing breed that thinks a writer should be read and not heard, let alone seen. I think this is because there seems so often today to be a tendency to put the person in the place of his or her work, to turn the creative artist into a performing one, to find what a writer says about writing somehow more valid, or more real, than the writing itself.

- William Thomas Gaddis -

Offline Debra Sue

« Reply #1059 on: January 02, 2014, 05:26:12 PM »

"A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions"  -  Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline thatollie

« Reply #1060 on: January 02, 2014, 05:38:02 PM »
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
- Douglas Adams

JewelAS53

« Reply #1061 on: January 03, 2014, 08:14:02 AM »
Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book.
Cicero -  born 3 January 106 BC, died 7 December 43 BC

How little the world has changed  :o

Offline Frogg

• Let there be tea.
« Reply #1062 on: January 06, 2014, 08:21:49 PM »
Never put a sock in a toaster.

- Eddie Izzard.

Sound advice, but it just makes me want to do it all the more... ::)
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters... it's amazing I'm here at all. - Bernard Black

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #1063 on: January 12, 2014, 06:07:23 PM »
Not just in America, unfortunately.

America believes in education: the average professor earns
 more money in a year than a professional athlete earns in
 a whole week.
--- Evan Esar (1899 - 1995)
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline AlanBaines

« Reply #1064 on: January 13, 2014, 07:24:02 PM »
"Looking for truth is like looking for a needle in a haystack, and I can't find the haystack." -- Wayne S. Polls