Author Topic: Computer Help tips  (Read 16637 times)

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • Station Shorts
Re: Computer Help tips
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2007, 06:44:41 PM »
My ears are burning. Must be this silly hat.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Nadine L

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2007, 07:52:04 PM »
Um, am I confused or have we lost track of the purpose of this thread?

Please advise. (I cry easily, don't be mean.)

Nadine

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2007, 08:07:55 PM »
I believe the train has fallen off the tracks. Or Elvis has left the building.

However, I would like to take the time to point out about clicking.

A single click moves the cursor to where you are clicking - as everyone knows.
Double click will select the word.
Triple click will select an entire paragraph.

handy if you want to move the whole thing, cut it out completely, or format it in some way.

Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline Red_Barren

• I change things because I can.
    • Our Team
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2007, 11:23:31 PM »
Um, am I confused or have we lost track of the purpose of this thread?

Please advise. (I cry easily, don't be mean.)

Nadine

My apologies, Nadine. If you click the "quote" button on any of my posts, you should see the actual code that links to the pictures, makes them clickable links, etc.  While forums like this may have different buttons that could be hard to navigate, most will allow the simple code I used.

Tim (yeah, the one Patti mentioned).

http://www.cloudantivirus.com  Anti-Virus that is free for personal, non-profit and educational use.  Continuously updated and scans on the fly without slowing down your computer.

http://www.malwarebytes.com Anti-Malware that is free for personal use.

Offline Red_Barren

• Our Team
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2007, 11:38:25 PM »
I believe the train has fallen off the tracks. Or Elvis has left the building.

If you happen to find yourself faced with a pop-up willing to scan your computer, press Alt-F4.

If you want to select individual items in a list, hold down the CTRL key and click away.

If you want to select a range of contiguous objects, hold down the shift key, click the first object, click the last object, and have your way with them.

If you want to delete a directory in UNIX, type rm -r * while signed in as root.

Oh, make a backup first.

That's all I have for tonight, folks. ;-)

Tim

http://www.cloudantivirus.com  Anti-Virus that is free for personal, non-profit and educational use.  Continuously updated and scans on the fly without slowing down your computer.

Nadine L

« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2007, 11:38:51 PM »
Tim,

That is just awesome, thanks! I missed the memo.

(that was for your previous post)

I did okay on the second one 'til I reached: UNIX... but it does sound cool.   ;D

Nadine

PS, do you mind if I add this link to my January 08 newsletter? (Sorry, December is put to bed.) http://www.phpbb88.com/folding/viewtopic.php?t=258&mforum=folding
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 11:52:07 PM by Nadine L »

Offline DGSquared

• Station Shorts
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2007, 12:19:33 AM »
I'm sorry Patti and Nadine. It's been or rather I've been nuts today. So, what's new.

I learned something today, quite by accident. Most of you probably already knew this but...

If you edit a word file and don't close that file and bring it back up again before you submit it, your unedited work will go out.  :-[
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Nadine L

« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2007, 12:26:25 AM »
DG,

OMGosh, say it ain't so!

Does that mean you hadn't saved it, after your edit, to overwrite the file? I can't send a file attachment if the file is still open. Nice safeguard, I guess.

That's a real bummer for you,  :'(

Nadine

Offline DGSquared

• Station Shorts
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2007, 01:06:33 AM »
DG,

OMGosh, say it ain't so!

Does that mean you hadn't saved it, after your edit, to overwrite the file? I can't send a file attachment if the file is still open. Nice safeguard, I guess.

That's a real bummer for you,  :'(

Nadine
It wasn't a bummer though. I'm now published! Whoo! Whoo!

Yep, that's what happened.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 03:16:27 AM by DGSquared »

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline Red_Barren

• Our Team
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2007, 01:18:33 AM »
Yep, that's what happened.

Some jerk published it that way too.  What an idiot!

But I'm getting off-topic again, Nadine.  Sorry.  Yes, you can post that link as long is it isn't in any rag where Gyppo wears fishnet stockings! <I'm out of here before he sees this>

Nadine L

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2007, 01:21:35 AM »
Geeze, don't be so sensitive about the off topic thing, I'm just doing my job.

Hummm, Gyppo in fishnet. I'm liking that idea.

Well, you can look at my newsletter and see what I do...or you can dare to trust me.

Nadine

Offline Red_Barren

• Our Team
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2007, 01:39:21 AM »
Geeze, don't be so sensitive about the off topic thing, I'm just doing my job.

You don't know me and "off-topic".  I can get *way* off course.  Don't be afraid to do your job.

Quote from: Nadine

Wow!  You're seriously ill.  Well, at least I am now.  What a disgusting thought! ;-)

Quote from: Nadine
Well, you can look at my newsletter and see what I do...or you can dare to trust me.

I've met Gyppo.  Show me your newsletter.  ;D

Offline DGSquared

• Station Shorts
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2007, 02:01:10 AM »
Some jerk published it that way too.  What an idiot!

No way! Not a jerk! Tim was a sweetheart and opened the doors for all of us to get a shot at Gyppo's book and get published.

It was the submission I made to the Most Embarrassing Contest where Tim and Patti contribute to Bruce's Really Good Quotes newsletter. Bruce is a wonderful man as well, by the way.

It wasn't a total disaster but you always want to put your better work out on display. They got my unedited, and unpolished version unfortunately. I guess that makes my submission twice as embarrassing. So that should make me the winner!  :P My big debut and I managed to screw it up. ::) Oh well, live and learn. It will never happen again.

I'm still on cloud nine about being published! Just wish it could have been my better draft. They really deserved the best. I didn't know, nor did they that they got the unedited version until I saw it today, yet they were kind enough to publish my work anyway. Yeah, I'm that good. ;) 

Actually, they are. Go check out Really Good Quotes

Hope I got that right. I've lost this post once already too.  ::) Right, well, there you have it in a nutshell.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 02:08:16 AM by DGSquared »

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Nadine L

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2007, 02:03:52 AM »
Tim, betcha you can find it on your own...

*hint* look on my website.

(Yep, read your blog, know you're a computer geek)

Nadine

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2007, 06:10:15 AM »

Nadine

I'm not ;-( 

"Keep your hands in clear sight and stand away from your computer until the disturbing images fade."   Re-format your brain.  Several times. That's my top tip for today.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 06:12:51 AM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1