Author Topic: A Few Words to a Young Writer  (Read 8087 times)

Offline wannabewriter

• My family
Re: A Few Words to a Young Writer
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2007, 10:32:34 PM »
Roisin and Thatollie,

Thank you both. You both have good points. The only reason I thought of an outline is cause my head is flooded with ideas. I thought an outline would help me keep them straight.

We will see. I will let you know how it works out for me.

Paula
Paula aka wannabewriter

"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong." by: Joseph Chilton Pearce

Offline Christopher Silva

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2007, 05:13:33 AM »
My plot seems to roll as I go... Oh well, we are all different.

chris

Offline naturewalker

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2007, 02:10:35 PM »
I, too am working on my first 'serious' manuscript. I read a post for a competition where they asked for HARD RETURNS between paragraphs. At the risk of sounding REALLY stupid- I have to ask- What does a HARD RETURN mean?
Success is not a matter of spontaneous combustion... one must deliberately set oneself on fire

Offline Ollie The Legend

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2007, 02:49:23 PM »
Wanna: If my post was helpful at all, then I am happy.
Now I must throw a smoke bomb on the floor an disappear back to my novel, au revoir.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2007, 03:08:56 PM »
Most text editors use a soft return to go to the next line. It is part of the Word Wrap feature. To make a hard return, hit the Enter key to start a new line.

I just made a different kind of return, but hitting the Enter key twice. You can adjust your program to begin paragraphs with an indentation so that a second paragraph is momre obvious.

On the ruler at the top of the page are some cute little triagles that point at each other. If you drag the top pointing down triangle to the .5 inch mark (not sure where that would be in metric but maybe 1 cm) then when you start a new paragraph begins the first line will be indented.

Patti
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline naturewalker

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2007, 03:11:44 PM »
Does that mean I hit ENTER twice? And maintain the same margin?
Success is not a matter of spontaneous combustion... one must deliberately set oneself on fire

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2007, 03:30:09 PM »
it sounds to me like they want a blank space between paragraphs, so yes. \

but i'm not positive
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline Simon

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2007, 04:16:38 PM »
Socrates didn't believe in writing. He thought it made your memory worse because it make it so you don't practice your memory as much, cause everything is just written out. The same way calculators have reduced mental math skills.

Offline JanTetstone

• Heartsong's Diary
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2018, 01:37:22 PM »
A Few Words to a Young Writer:

Socrates said, "The misuse of language induces evil in the soul." He wasn't talking about grammar. To misuse language is to use it the way politicians and advertisers do, for profit, without taking responsibility for what the words mean. Language used as a means to get power or make money goes wrong: it lies. Language used as an end in itself, to sing a poem or tell a story, goes right, goes towards the truth.

A writer is a person who cares what words mean, what they say, how they say it. Writers know words are their way towards truth and freedom, and so they use them with care, with thought, with fear, with delight. By using words well they strengthen their souls. Story-tellers and poets spend their lives learning that skill and art of using words well. And their words make the souls of their readers stronger, brighter, deeper.

_
chris
thanks to ULG

Good advice is always good advice.       jt