Author Topic: A Few Words to a Young Writer  (Read 8034 times)

Offline Christopher Silva

Re: A Few Words to a Young Writer
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2007, 04:36:11 AM »
Spchick,

your are a wizard, amazing, like a well of PC / writers tips.

Great one.

_
C

Offline Roisin

• Idiots are fun. No wonder every village wants one.
    • FictionPress
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2007, 11:26:16 PM »
SpChick: there is nothing more frustrating than having a good idea and getting so excited about typing it out that everything ends up being typed incorrectly and it's such an annoyance to type everything out properly that you don't bother. (happens a lot...)

Thanks for the great tips; now I can type shortened versions of pretty much anything; cheers!

Thank you FW, too; that was very nicely put. Great point.
Writing a book is a long, exhausting struggle, like a long bout of some painful illness. One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand.
- George Orwell

Offline Amie

• Global Moderator
    • threegeese
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 01:40:04 AM »
I don't know about the rest of the world, but in the US the choices for words is influenced a great deal by politics. If I don't use Politically Correct verbiage, I will simply be in a world of crap. I am so sick of typing out African-American that I'm about to insist on Northern European-American, Mediteranean-American, Scandanavian-American, etc.

This reminds me of when a US friend was visiting a few years ago.  I'd referred to someone as "black", and this friend looked at me disapprovingly and said, "You mean African-American".  I said, "Well, no....  she's British".  She said, "Okay, African-British then".  I was like, "No one says that here.  And anyway, she's Jamaican".  Trying to get her to understand that the word "black" is not offensive was just an impossible task.  I actually think that making the word offensive is offensive - like there's something wrong with being black.  No one seems to think it's offensive to call Northern Europeans white.

btw, I am not white, I am Asio-Amero-British ;)

(apologies for going off topic Funwriter - great post!)
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

thatollie

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 01:51:21 AM »
My roots are easy to say and sound damn cool, German-Irish. Not only is Robert Duvall's character in The Godfather German-Irish but it sounds like someone who'd make a ton of trouble.

Offline wannabewriter

• My family
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2007, 06:42:29 PM »
I am a new writer just starting out. Still working on my first book. I have a question but also a tip. My question is I would like to take a writing to refresh me on alot things that I have forgotten. However, I am short on funds so I am wondering is there a decent righting course online that may be free or one that doesn't cost an arm and leg?

My tip of the day. This is people that use MS Word. If you one that like to have your saved so you don't loose it this may help. I copied this from the word help.

Change how often you want Word to save documents automatically
On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Save tab.

Select the Save AutoRecover info every check box.

In the minutes box, enter the interval for how often you want Microsoft Word to save documents. The more frequently Word saves documents, the more information is recovered if there is a power failure or similar problem while a document is open in Word.
Note   AutoRecover is not a replacement for regularly saving your documents. If you choose not to save the recovery file after Word opens it, the file is deleted and your unsaved changes are lost. If you save the recovery file, it replaces the original document (unless you specify a new file name).

Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Paula
Paula aka wannabewriter

"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong." by: Joseph Chilton Pearce

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2007, 10:05:53 AM »
Hi Paula,

I don't know of any inexpensive writing courses and have never really taken any. I have been writing as long as I can remember and I read a lot.. I wish you luck in finding one though and I recommend that you join a local writing club in your area...

Also MWC is a great resources for writers.

Regards,

Chris
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 07:22:07 AM by Funwriter »

Offline wannabewriter

• My family
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2007, 10:12:38 AM »
Thanks for the feedback Chris. I will definitly look into joing a writers club.

Paula
Paula aka wannabewriter

"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong." by: Joseph Chilton Pearce

Offline AJ Barnett

• AJ Barnett
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2007, 08:06:38 AM »
Funwriter, you're so spot on. Sometimes I'll go back into my work several times and change words because they just don't seem to gel. - Anthony
Author of <a href="http://amzn.to/aoTuEI">SHORT MOMENTS</a> and <a href="http://amzn.to/92VNu3">WITHOUT REPROACH</a>

Articles
<a href="http://bit.ly/caC9MG">Publishing on Amazon Kindle</a>
<a href="http://bit.ly/hVXo91">Romantic Suspense</a>
<a href="http://bit.ly/9gWaZd">Dialogue in Writing</

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2007, 08:26:37 AM »
Yes Sir!  I edit and edit again.  The great thing is that the tale just gets better and better. Or, I screw it up  :-[

Offline wannabewriter

• My family
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2007, 04:20:38 PM »
Funwriter,

I know just what you mean. I have found myself editing and editing. the other day I found myself stuck on this one paragraph. I must have changed it 6 times and I'm still not happy.

I do have a question for you. I have read in alot of places that you should outline your story to help you keep track and make sure you cover everything. My problem is I know nothing about doing an outline. Is there somewhere that I can get an example of how one is done?

Thank,

Paula
Paula aka wannabewriter

Offline AJ Barnett

• AJ Barnett
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2007, 03:52:57 AM »
Hi Paula, I wonder if this might help. It's what I did for my latest. It's the first general outline that I worked on for the book, to give me a sort of encompassing feel for where I wanted to go, to constantly remind me of the objective. It's all too easy to get side tracked. Nothing was set in concrete though. The thing changed at times, BUT THERE WAS AWAYS VALID REASON for it, it wasnt just on whim, and of course, the outline structure had to be changed to suit.

The individual chapters had similar but far more detailed outlines.

WITHOUT REPROACH sparks into life during the onset of autumn, at La Finca Piedra, a beautiful Spanish villa nestling under the sierras of the Costa Blanca.
Jenny Bucknall, slender and fiery, is in her twenties, a woman of ideals, intolerant of injustice, still looking to carve a place for herself in the world.
Eduardo García is a successful businessman not well disposed towards fools. He is in his thirties and been selected as candidate for the next Parliamentary elections. Someone is sending Eduardo menacing letters.
Jenny, raised in England, inherits a share in La Finca Piedra from Spanish artist, Juan García. She has never met him, has never heard of him and is not related to him. Jenny’s psychological problems start when she sees the finca for the first time, and recognizes certain parts. Worse, there is a nude painting of her in the entrance hall.
Eduardo, twenty years younger than half-brother Juan, is also a beneficiary of the Will. Conflict erupts out of Eduardo’s single-minded resolve to preserve the finca for the García family, and Jenny’s equal determination not to give it up. She sees the finca as a chance of making something of her life. He sees her as a gold-digger. “You’re so f*****g pompous,” yells Jenny “You think you’re the only person that counts; but you’re not. Everyone matters, not just you.”
The contradiction of aggression and tranquillity, of angry and obsessive feelings amid the calm surrounds of the beautiful Sierras, heightens the mood of WITHOUT REPROACH.
Jenny finds herself struggling with Eduardo on several levels; her escalating attraction towards him, his promiscuous reputation, his belief that she may be involved with the threatening letters, and his absolute but unjustified dislike of her friend, Miguel.
Jenny tries to unearth what connects her to the mysterious finca, but there are always dark secrets. Her growing belief is that there is a conspiracy against her. The enigma spirals as a tentative relationship with Eduardo develops.

Ends

Hope this helpd a little
Anthony
Author of <a href="http://amzn.to/aoTuEI">SHORT MOMENTS</a> and <a href="http://amzn.to/92VNu3">WITHOUT REPROACH</a>

Articles
<a href="http://bit.ly/caC9MG">Publishing on Amazon Kindle</a>
<a href="http://bit.ly/hVXo91">Romantic Suspense</a>
<a href="http://bit.ly/9gWaZd">Dialogue in Writing</

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2007, 05:58:45 AM »
Wannabee,

I very rarely do an outline. I tend to just got at it full steam and write it to the end. If I don't have time, I try and keep a bit of focus on the work and handhold it through to the end.

On a rare occasion I have had a thought about a possible story while on a plane or in some odd situation (doctors office). Below is an example of an idea I had and just jotted it down sa as not to forget it:

The Maltese Treasure:

Kenneth Nill passed away at ninety seven. He had four children.

Kenneth was a wealthy gentleman with an unknown past. When his estate was to divided up amongst his living children, some now in their seventies. All were pleasantly surprised at his accumulated wealth.

One late evening, when his four children were going over the last of Kenneth's documents and personal items, they found an odd reference to an account on the island of Malta. To their surprise, the account has been open for seventy five years. The only reference was a battered black account book emblazoned with a gold Maltese cross on its cover.

In this book was a nine digit number 530-861-539. Below this number was a carefully printed transfer message: Rev. Joel Passardi to allocate $10,000.00 US to Anabelle Nill monthly.

Below the name Anabelle Nill was an address:

54 Aralah
Valletta
Malta
__

on the next page in Kenneth's own clear script:

Details: Safety Dep. box 237. Valletta - Royal Bank of Malta.
Code: Crucible

naturally the four children were shocked at the possibility of a sibling or for that matter a stepmother.

But even more interesting, was the fact that their father had an account somewhere that transferred $10,000.00 US dollars monthly for seventy five years... An account that could transfer that kind of money monthly must be enormous. Now it belonged to them!

Kenneth's Children and their Characters:

Conrad Nill: Conrad is the oldest at seventy two. he graduated from college and did a short stint in the military as a young officer in Korea. Conrad is smart, disciplined and successful. Conrad has two children both now nearing forty.

Diane Nill: Diane has been married four times and decided to marry for money after her first marriage to a musician. Diane is smart ruthless and keeps herself in top physical condition. Diane is sixty two
Diane has two sons: One thirty eight and the other thirty four.

Kenneth Nill Jr. : Kenneth Jr. is perhaps the smartest of all of them. He has dabbled in his fathers business and has been a successful investor. Kenneth is thoughtful and a family man at heart. He loves history and geography and travels often with his family. Kenneth Jr. is fifty: Kenneth has one daughter and one son

Karen Nill: Karen is the youngest and was always spoiled. She never really works and had off again on again marriages. She lived of the trust from her father and has never worked or studied. Though not educated she has a sharp mind and is addicted to one thing, luxury.

The four children decided to go and find out more about the account and this Anabelle Nill.

But most of all, they want the contents of the Safety deposit box..!

__
Hope this helps.

Chris

Offline wannabewriter

• My family
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2007, 03:55:32 PM »
Chris and Anthony,

Thank you very much. You have both helped me to where now I think I know what to do. Also I have ordered some software that should help as well. The software was a reccommendation from a friend. The name of it is Writers Dreamkit. I will let you know how it is once I get it. From what I've seen I think it will help a great deal. I got it through Amazon for thirty something.

Again thank you both for your help.

Paula
Paula aka wannabewriter

Offline Roisin

• Idiots are fun. No wonder every village wants one.
    • FictionPress
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2007, 06:33:09 PM »
After two failed attempts at writing a novel because the idea wasn't fully formed in my head, I decided that I was going to outline the next one.

My current work-in-progress is being completely outlined. It's actually been quite helpful. That way, when you sit down to actually write, most of the work is already done and you can focus on the writing. It may take longer outline and then write, but if you don't know the entire plot from start to finish, this will save you a lot of time in the long run.

Hope this was helpful,
Roisin
Writing a book is a long, exhausting struggle, like a long bout of some painful illness. One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand.
- George Orwell

thatollie

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2007, 07:21:05 PM »
I tried outlining, doesn't seem to work for me, but with a little editing the directionless prose I'm writing will sparkle [hopefully, although I've seen many places where an edit would do the piece a world of good].