Author Topic: Realizing that I will never finish my book?  (Read 6721 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Re: Realizing that I will never finish my book?
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2007, 09:24:30 AM »
Heard of Murphy?  :D the wrench always rolls under the exact centre of gravity of the car! ::) It is always the un-numbered pages that fall to the floor in a heap :P

Murphy is such a Darling! And a lot of fun to read!!! Have any of you tried reading Murphy's laws?

I don't read Murphy's Laws.   I live them ;-)  Not voluntarily, but...

Some days it feels as if the entire Murphy Clan is out to get me.

Nadine:  Paper copy not only reveals mistakes we can easily miss on-screen it also feels more real.  When you hold that thick pile of papers in your hand you know you have a book.  It's no longer just an idea in your head or a collection of ordered electrons on a disc.  For someone who perhaps feels a little unsure of themselves that can be one hell of a boost.

Re Hatchet work.  Never destroy the original.  Even if you rewrite completely.  Often there will be something in that original which may trigger another tale, or a different slant.  There's also the 'Was I really that bad' effect. If you feel you're losing your way, or not progressing as fast as you'd like, looking back over some really dire early work will serve as a sharp reminder of how far you've come ;-)

NW:  Thankyou.  Gyppo almost blushes.
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline naturewalker

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2007, 12:23:50 PM »
Anthony! Have I stumbled on the ORIGINAL Murphy? ;) I have never really experienced a truly Mrphy moment except in traffic jams when the 'other' line always moves faster- and if you change lanes and move into the faster line- the 'other' line moves faster! To be very frank- this suits me just fine sometimes... with my current read on the seat next to me, if I get stuck- I simply roll the windows up and read- crawling on- and reading on.

No, Gyppo! THANK YOU... It was very instructive for me to see my own story transform!
Success is not a matter of spontaneous combustion... one must deliberately set oneself on fire

Offline thatollie

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2007, 12:26:53 PM »
What is this fantastic character development exercise the two of you have done?
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline naturewalker

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2007, 12:42:10 PM »
Do you really want to know? ;) Are you realllllyyy dying to know....???? :D

On a serious note, however...

Actually, TO, it was a story that I wrote to Gyppo and he sent me back the character analysis of my characters. I could only say- WOW! Did I really say all that through my characters? He also inserted a few quotes for the main players of the story making it all so real.

When I first read his version of my writing, I honestly thought he had only sent me back what I had written with the few typos corrected. Then, I reread mine and his- it was the same- but with a  lot more flesh and 'character' or attitude. It was quite instructive. Infact, that was one of the main reasons, I confess I stayed on at the MWC! Another was Nadine and her gentle encouragement.

This list- of reasons- and friends, I hope, that I am making, is growing everyday. Each interaction is adding to my ability to see my own writing a little more objectively, and sometimes, letting me just hold on to the belief that I can indeed publish my writing.

I am paying attention to Patti's tips, to Anthony's encouragement, to Funwriter's style, and ofcourse- enjoying a good repartee with you.
Success is not a matter of spontaneous combustion... one must deliberately set oneself on fire

Offline thatollie

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2007, 12:43:39 PM »
I'm glad you're enjoying it here.

Offline naturewalker

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2007, 12:49:13 PM »
Enough about me, though! I am beginning to blush!

Are you enjoying your muse these days... is your writing up there? You seem to be quite prolific!

PS: Thanks for all the help all of you give so naturally.

Offline thatollie

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2007, 12:51:27 PM »
I haven't been slacking off all day, I did get piece written.
My muse and I are getting along too well, people are beginning to talk.

Offline naturewalker

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2007, 12:58:45 PM »
Hey! Great!! She has not been too friendly with all those who are talking! I am having a good day, too! Mine is becoming a good friend.

Well... to good times ahead...

Offline thatollie

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2007, 01:00:39 PM »
Yep, I feel guilty when I'm in form because others aren't, but I know I'll feel more guilty if I don't write.