Author Topic: Non-Fiction Writing Challenge - Number One  (Read 2503 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Non-Fiction Writing Challenge - Number One
« on: November 01, 2007, 01:00:12 PM »
         MWC Non-Fiction Challenge Number One!

For all you would-be 'regular columnists' out there, a chance to try your wings.

I'm still going to issue a fiction challenge as well later today because it's clearly enjoyed by both those who take part, and the many non-voting readers ;-)

But here's something different which has been gnawing at my subconscious for a while, following PMs from several of you regarding writing a column.  Maybe it will also tempt out a different batch of challengers.

What I'm challenging you to write is a 700 - 800 words 'hobby/trade article as if it were the first episode of a regular column.  No leeway except that limited range because this represents about one page in many magazines, so is firmly rooted in the real world.  In other words, it could be the start of something for you, not just an exercise amongst other writers.

I'm looking for an article introducing newcomers to a trade or hobby, giving them some idea what is involved, the costs and equipment required, the benefits/pleasures they can expect to derive, etc.  Imagine you are using this first article to demonstrate your ability to write a regular column about that subject. 

This is not a 'pitch' to the editor, but a 'sample' showing; a) knowledge of the subject, b) ability to write clearly, c) enthusiasm.  If you can interest a 'non-practitioner' then you're doing something right ;-)

Other than that I will leave the subject wide open so you can talk about anything.  Writing, cycling, childcare, motorcycling, skiing, needlepoint, crochet, cross-stitch, carving tree trunks with a chainsaw, caving, sex therapy.  In short, whatever you either know about or can research effectively and quickly. Whatever your hobby or trade try and sell the idea to the readers.  Make them want to read future columns.

Any takers?  If so PM your entries to me.

The First MWC Non-Fiction Writing Challenge will end at Midnight GMT Monday the 12th November, and the entries will be put up for review soon after.

Gyppo

« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 04:58:14 AM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Christopher Silva

Re: Non-Fiction Writing Challenge - Number One
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 11:06:36 AM »
Where do I post ???

Offline thatollie

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 11:48:28 AM »
You send it in a message to Gyppo.
Never make a decision standing up.

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 12:01:31 PM »
Sent...Thank you.

Offline thatollie

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 12:07:32 PM »
Hey, we're all here for similar reasons, to grow as writers and if this contest helps you, then I have to help if I can.
Never make a decision standing up.

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 02:51:26 PM »
Not sure if it will help much, just interested in the views of my journal writing.. It's very personal and I don't really post it....

-
c