Author Topic: How did you start as a writer?  (Read 14922 times)

Offline Wurdsmyth

• A sparkly little optimist in a dark, dark world
    • Miranda's website
Re: How did you start as a writer?
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 12:33:13 PM »
Someone gave me a very old PC and I just started messing about on it one day... The 100 words I wrote suddenly started growing and I was surprised to discover the results weren't too bad! I got the bug and that was it...  :D
Need a dash of optimism or just a good read? Visit my blog at www.coffeeandroses.blogspot.com
I also have a swanky writing website - oh yes - and you're all invited! Pop over to www.miranda-dickinson.com
GREAT CHRISTMAS PRESSIE: My new novel, A Parcel for Anna Browne, is out now (PanMacmillan) :)

Offline thatLous

• formerly ThatLouie ;)
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 01:20:17 PM »
I wrote adventure as a kid!  ;D ;D And then I discovered fanfiction, too (you could say that I learned from the rogues and the pros). But I got really serious with writing when I won a little poetry competition...

... what?  ;D ;D ;D

shellie_baby

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 01:29:25 PM »
I started writing completely by accident. :D

I was 10 and my teacher at the time persuaded me to write a short story. So I wrote.

8 years on and I haven't stopped once. ;D

You've got to love some teachers, they really do know what they're talking about.

Offline thatLous

• formerly ThatLouie ;)
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 01:33:02 PM »
 ;D ;D This is probably a good time to mention that I was forced by my teacher to join the poetry competition, shellie. If I hadn't, I would've stopped writing altogether!

Offline SteveJ

• A Writer's Christmas - Out Now!
    • Salvatore Publishing
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 01:36:09 PM »
I was 10 and my teacher at the time persuaded me to write a short story. So I wrote.
8 years on and I haven't stopped once.

That must be a very long story, Smellie - don't post it all here or the board will collapse. ;D ;D ;D
A Writer's Christmas:
http://www.lulu.com/content/4931358

The Horde - Available Now:
http://www.lulu.com/content/4076371

shellie_baby

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 01:38:44 PM »

That must be a very long story, Smellie - don't post it all here or the board will collapse. ;D ;D ;D

Longest story since Salvatore House Steve ;)

;D ;D This is probably a good time to mention that I was forced by my teacher to join the poetry competition, shellie. If I hadn't, I would've stopped writing altogether!

Ah, good thing you listened to your teacher then. :)

Offline SteveJ

• A Writer's Christmas - Out Now!
    • Salvatore Publishing
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 01:39:49 PM »
Longest story since Salvatore House Steve

Touché! You win, chief! ;D ;D
*eats humble pie*
A Writer's Christmas:
http://www.lulu.com/content/4931358

The Horde - Available Now:
http://www.lulu.com/content/4076371

Offline Annmarie

• Got my kinky boots on. Watch out!
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 01:51:06 PM »
Ghost stories at 8 years old, read to the class, was admired, and that was the start...
Work hard. Believe. Take a chance.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2008, 02:32:25 PM »
I was telling stories long before I could write.  I can't actually recall learning to write - I've been told this is quite common amongst prolific writers - but I've been told I learned before starting school at five.  I read anything that wasn't hidden from me, including cereal packets at breakfast time.  One of my greatest treasures was a multi-volume encyclopedia.  Fantastic books for a voracious little reader.  "Mum! Dad!  Did you know that..."

Words just called to me.  They always have.  If someone leaves a letter unattended and face up I've trained myself not to look, otherwise I'd read half a page before it even dawned on me I was being nosey.

As for writing, i made little picture books with dire drawings and seemingly passable words from an early age.

My first paid writing?  I've just looked through the archives and found this...

=====

I was thinking about this the other day and realised that my first paid writing job was a self-published effort. Non-fiction too, precisely targeted at a timely seasonal market ;-)  At about eight years of age.  I was certainly less than ten because it was before we moved into a house. 1959-1960.

I wrote out a list of ten things which people should do before the winter, entitled 'Things to do before the Winter'.   Stuff like 'Put anti-freeze in your car', 'Buy Winter weight oil for your motorbike or scooter', 'Chop a good supply of firewood and stack some bigger logs near your house or caravan'.

I then carefully typeset the result using a John Bull printing set, using the individual rubber type and a fiddly pair of tweezers.  This wasn't at all straightforward because the three line 'block' was only about three inches across so I had to work out where to split the lines for a six inch line of type.  Why didn't I print it on narrow paper?  Because it never occurred to me.  I was just using whatever I had to hand, pages filched from school exercise books.

I printed about two dozen copies, all the lefthand sides first (three lines at a time) and then reset the type and matched up the righthand sides.  Time consuming, but I must have enjoyed it otherwise I wouldn't have finished them.

Then I took my bundle of mini-broadsheets (with no idea I was following a great tradition of pamphleteers) and hawked them around the caravan site and the nearby houses.  I recall asking for threepence (old money) and occasionally being haggled down to two.  One of the local rogues - evidently recognising a kindred spirit - bought two copies.  A shiny sixpence from one door...  Magic!

I dare say being a 'brown-eyed cheeky little scamp' probably sold as many copies as my literary skills, but it was good training for when I later sold 'moss gardens' in bowls made from heated and moulded old bakelite records.

So there you have it, self-publishing - profitably - at eight years old.

I just wish I still had a copy ;-(

Gyppo   
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline flashgordon

• Interesting Books Reviewed and Author Interviews
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2008, 11:43:27 PM »
Luck... persistence really. I just kept plugging away, learning more about the industry, and getting more involved. Now I'm in the right places at the right time to see the calls come out or the queries. Thats how I get the freelance stuff at least. The other stuff is pretty standard: proposal, submission, waiting, hoping, rejection/acceptance.

Offline Thekherham

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2008, 08:25:16 AM »
I actually wanted to buy a big horse farm and have some horses and win the Kentucky Derby... Oh, I'm dreaming, aren't I?  As for the writing part... I don't know.  I just started writing, little 500, 1000 page crappy things.  And then I graduated to big, huge, long, is-it-ever-going-to-end novels.  No one else in my family writes... anything literary, that is.  Father was not very encouraging.  Why are you wasting so much paper?  Science fiction?  Nobody reads that crap.  Wife starts to write something, but then gives up.  Of my three kids, the middle one is trying to be a writer.  The oldest girl talks more about what she is writing than doing the actual writing.
As for me, I'll keep writing until they pry the mouse from my cold, dead hands.
That's Tee kee' rahm

StrayDog

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2008, 09:26:01 PM »
Who cares why I started?
The important thing is that I'm still doing it.

Offline Neo2008

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2008, 05:46:46 AM »
A teacher discovered my talent when I was 11.  I failed at every subject, but I seemed to be able to write stories.  Some teachers would even invite me into other classrooms to read students my stories.  I think I had stories in my head before I could even write.  I then went through a long period of writing nothing.  And I am just now coming out of the period and I am writing again.  In just a few months I have written a short screenplay and a 90 page screenplay.  I am starting to write the outline to my first novel.  When I was younger I wrote screenplays and short stories, not novels.  I think it is just who you are not what you become.  I am learning that in other areas of my life as well.  To stop being who I think people, God or myself wants me to be and to just be.  It seems to be giving me a lot of joy living that way, because I just Am.  I am not trying....  I sound like Yoda, LOL

Offline flashgordon

• Interesting Books Reviewed and Author Interviews
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2008, 12:53:44 PM »
Who cares why I started?
The important thing is that I'm still doing it.

Couldn't of said it better myself.

Offline katiektk

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2008, 01:13:12 PM »
I was one of those emotional teens writing to figure out my dysfunctional family and relieve the pain of being bullied.

Luckily, things have improved since then!

Katie