Author Topic: What Does Your Screen Name Signify  (Read 46398 times)

Offline Allie

Re: What Does Your Screen Name Signify
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2007, 06:29:56 PM »
My screen name is short for my real middle name, which was supposed to be Alacoque but was registered as Aloque because the registrar was helping my dad celebrate the birth of his twin girls a little too hard. In those long ago days when I was born (at home), the mother would be abed for several days (they didn't realise the dangers of thrombosis then) so it was left to the father to register the birth at the town hall. Alacoque (pronounced Al-a-ko) is part of a saint's name (Margaret Mary Alacoque) and was apparently originally a French surname. My twin sister got the Margaret Mary bit and I got the Alacoque (Aloque) to add to my mother's name. :)

Offline fatoonch

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2007, 10:02:53 PM »
My name comes from a character in the show "the young ones", where Neil is trying to say a num cul pucka jool fa tomoonch and accidently says fatoonch.

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2007, 07:34:34 AM »
I started out my online experience with a name that had a double entendre that I had not realized when I took it. I quickly changed my online moniker to something less likely to get me in trouble. I have mostly had names that were in no way gender specific.

I am not a meek and retiring woman and in conversations with those who did not know me, I was often accused of being a man. While some of my best friends are men, including a husband, sons, and grandsons - I did not choose to misrepresent myself in that fashion. Online is quite a problem and I would get into arguments over my own gender.

I am fanatical about spelling, mostly because I am terrible at it. I had students chanting F7, F7, F7 in classes because that is the spell check key. BTW, I don't see a spell check button up there and so I copy and paste into Word and check there. I am THAT anal about it. I have been SpCheck for eons - another sexually ambiguous name. I figured it might be nice to let you know which gender group I fell into simply because it gives one more point of reference.

If I post something here that is provocative, I don't want anyone saying I only feel that way because I'm male.  ;D

Patti <<< Closer to me legal name
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 01:54:27 PM by SpChick »
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline ellie

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2007, 01:07:44 PM »
Mine seems quite boring after all of these interesting answers..
I was named after my French great grandmother. My mum's mum and sister were called Eleanor,so there were a lot of 'Ellies'(or Nelly) in our family ;D
The cure for boredom is curiosity.There is no cure for curiosity
Oscar Wilde
http://www.goldstarbooks.co.uk/ellie_Bowdery.htm

Narnian Prince

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2007, 05:39:30 AM »
My screen name, besides being altogether far too obvious, was actually chosen for me several years ago.  Ever since childhood I've always been a huge C. S. Lewis fan.  Well worn copies of The Screwtape Letters, The Cronicles Of Narnia, etc. line our bookshelves and our daughters felt that it was right seeing as how my middle name actually does happen to be Edmund (after my father).  When hearing stories of my much misguided youth, my darling wife occassionally likes cryptically intone that fiction  and truth seem to have some strong similarities in my life.  Like Edmund though, in the Cronicles of Narnia, I like to think that I've turned the corner and buried the past.  Now, I journey on to the Shadowlands where I seek publication for my efforts and hope to some day retire to a nice country village with wide views of the countryside beckoning for eternity.

Sir Nigel

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2007, 06:52:00 AM »
Believe it or not, Sir Nigel is actually my real name. I am a perfectly genuine knight of the realm with a horse and everything. I have four brothers  - Sir Randolf, Sir Perciflage, Sir Hoylandswaine and Beppo. All of whom are successful in their chosen fields (except for Beppo who, we feel, is safer in the attic. We rarely speak of him)

I did consider some cunning anagrams for a name: Les Nirgi or Eli Snirg but, after weighing up the pros and cons, thought they sounded a bit crap.       

Nelodra

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2007, 08:20:15 AM »
My screenname - well, I've had a lot of them.
I think I started out with monkey4ever. An invention of my husband.
I also had shirelle5764 (indicating my love for singing and the year in which I chose that screenname), webmama (I've still got a website http://www.webmama.nl), and shimifeles (after one of my cats). Still using that one on some forums.
There might have been a couple more, but these are the ones I can actually remember.  ;)

Nelodra - I simply got that one from a fantasy name generator. I like the sound of it.
So it's been nelodra for quite a while now, and I think I'll stick with it for some longer. It's the first screenname that really "clicks" with me.  :)

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • Station Shorts
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2007, 11:54:16 PM »
Guess is exactly what it say's guess who I am more or less is the question.  ;D
I chose it because I had another Id on here that was way past full membership then someone on this site p*ss*d in my cheerios and I got so mad I deleted it all so finding myself drawn back to this site like a drug I had to start all over again so then I thought let everyone Guess who I am  ::)

Besides my other screen name is stallion and CB handle so I thought I'd start out fresh here.....
Everything I have and get on the internet is in stallion or Sharon
But please call me whatever as long as you call me  :D

Ring ring! Deb calling Sharon thanks for sharin'. ;D

My screen name is short for my real middle name, which was supposed to be Alacoque but was registered as Aloque because the registrar was helping my dad celebrate the birth of his twin girls a little too hard. In those long ago days when I was born (at home), the mother would be abed for several days (they didn't realise the dangers of thrombosis then) so it was left to the father to register the birth at the town hall. Alacoque (pronounced Al-a-ko) is part of a saint's name (Margaret Mary Alacoque) and was apparently originally a French surname. My twin sister got the Margaret Mary bit and I got the Alacoque (Aloque) to add to my mother's name. :)

Allie, that is a great story. Genealogists love those kinds of stories (minus the thrombosis) thanks. Aloque or rather Alacoque is a beautiful name. :) Leave it to a proud, tipsy papa to put a different spin on things. ;)

Fantoonch - Interesting name it makes me think of Lord of the Rings though I haven't a clue why. I love LOTR. Cool. :D

Yelnick McWawa - it's fun to say. I liked Cheers too- Where everyone knows your name. ;)

SpChick - Fits you perfectly Patti. Like the story too. :)

Ellie - It's an honour to be named after a grandmother. I think Ellie is a very feminine and pretty name.  :)

Narnian Prince - Well, Sir Edmund, you wear it well.  ;)

Sir Nigel indeed! Does this mean the you fight to uphold the ideals of chivalry, honour, loyalty, integrity, valour, friendship and fun? 8)

Neldora, the  screen name suits you but your real name is very nice. I don't think I want to know why your husband nicknamed you monkey4ever. :D I went to your Web-mama site and discovered your girls are the same age as my boys...almost. My oldest will be 12 for 24 more days. You're a busy girl.

Thanks to everyone for sharing. Now there are some newbies about, hopefully they will share their name or screen-name origin too.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • Station Shorts
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2007, 02:41:17 PM »
I'm gonna bump this thread and hope that some newbies and other regulars add to it.

I find these stories fascinating.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline Xerika

• Rob Johnson - writing, podcasting and reluctantly olive farming
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2007, 05:23:14 PM »
Your bump is my command, if you'll pardon the expression.

Xerika is the name of the olive farm where we live in Greece. In Ancient Greek, it means "dry land". In Modern Greek it's χερικα.

In English, the word 'xeric' is an adjective meaning "of, relating to, or growing in dry conditions".

No doubt, most people will have seen "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" where the father claims that every word in the English language derives from a Greek word.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 05:27:05 PM by Xerika »
http://rob-johnson.org.uk/ - writing, podcasting and reluctant olive farming

"I'd Rather Eat My Own Face" podcast. The truth about olive harvesting. http://wp.me/p2bC2C-8U

"If it sounds like writing, I rewrite it." - Elmore Leonard

Offline Talisman

• June Austin
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2007, 05:35:55 PM »
I use pretty much the same name on most forums. It comes from one of our crystal skulls which is called Talisman, and is also the name of my first website (now obsolete) which I shared wtih my partner Coran, who has since launched his own web design business. There are a few sites I am on which already have members with this name in which case I tend to use either Lundygirl (after my favourite holiday destination) or Author OnLine (the name of my publisher).

June

I used to be an aetheist until I realised I was God
www.juneaustin.co.uk
http://juneaustin.blogspot.com/
http://conversationswithpod.blogspot.com/ - helping POD authors publicise their work

Offline bob414bob

• Learn to spell, it helps!
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2007, 05:49:49 PM »
Ok, mine is also quite boring after reading some of your imaginative names.
Bob was the name of a horse I bred. He was named after the famous Blackadder episode where Edmond meets Kate, alias Bob. And four is my lucky number.

Offline Xerika

• Rob Johnson - writing, podcasting and reluctantly olive farming
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2007, 06:11:36 PM »
Bob, I don't think your fathering a horse is in the least bit boring. I remember the Blackadder episode well and especially Atkinson's pronunciation of the word 'Bob'.
http://rob-johnson.org.uk/ - writing, podcasting and reluctant olive farming

"I'd Rather Eat My Own Face" podcast. The truth about olive harvesting. http://wp.me/p2bC2C-8U

"If it sounds like writing, I rewrite it." - Elmore Leonard

Offline Cathy C

• Procrastination is the thief of time.
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2007, 06:14:26 PM »
Bob, I don't think your fathering a horse is in the least bit boring.

Me either, in fact, I'm all ears. :o

If you're looking for boring then go no further.....

Cathy for my first name

C, for my surname

(Yes this was my FIRST foray into cyber space :'()

Novel: Where There’s Smoke. Published by Fireborn publishing http://amzn.to/2tZKNCn

Short Story: A Killer Week Published by Bridge House http://amzn.to/2rhLVAX

Offline Fiona

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2007, 09:07:07 PM »
Fiona's for Fiona. Hah. Imaginative am I.

On other forums I usually went by the name Safia or some sort - Missy Safia or whatever to avoid the use of a number if it was already taken. It was the name of a character I used to RP as. In another forum I'm Edea after the character in Final Fantasy 8 - because it's a gamers forum so obviously it fits. Actually, Edea was my first forum name.

I only started using my real name recently. Actually, MWC was the first forum that saw my first name. I no longer feel the need to hide behind a pseudo name. What's behind a name really? How many Fionas are there on the Internet? How many Fiona Quinns? But yeah, I never use both my names because eh... Fiona's more impersonal. And I quite like my name.

Fiona means fair. I'm not fair of hair (or face for that matter) but I hope I'm a fair person. :P

There you go, a long story out of a fairly simple naming process.
Ribbit.