Author Topic: Advice required regarding writing a book  (Read 2096 times)

Offline tryingtoearn

• View Profile
Advice required regarding writing a book
« on: October 22, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »
Hi,

I wonder if someone can give some advice.  My partner has some cows on his farm and I become attached to a certain calf he had and I thought I would be able to keep him on the farm.  He seemed so cute and helped me a little with my anxiety problems.  I was determined to stop this calf going to the slaughter house and I tried to think of ways to keep him on the farm through earning money online.  Nevertheless, he went as I didn't raise the cash to keep him.   I thought about my interest in writing a children's book or a book on 'cows and calves'.  Is there a fiction or non fiction idea that could be created on such a subject and is it worthwhile doing in order to self-publish it online?

You can view a blog I started some time ago at :
www.save-this-calf.blogspot.com.   

thatollie

Re: Advice required regarding writing a book
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 12:02:26 PM »
Try looking at the "Author's resource center" board.
I think, if you're going the fiction route, there are basics that are needed in every genre.

This SF site has some of those listed.
http://www.sfwriter.com/owindex.htm

This general site has most of the rest.
http://users.wirefire.com/tritt/home.html
The articles on this site are on the right side, about halfway down.

Offline tryingtoearn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 12:10:33 PM »
Hi,

Thank you for replying.  When I say I would like to write a book, I suppose creating a website or a blog is something else I could consider and try and monetise that instead of writing and self-publishing a book.

I'm looking for any ideas someone can give with regard to anything to do with writing that can be done online to earn an income?  I appreciate the advice.

Offline Justin

• View Profile
    • www.justinmaelzer.com
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 06:01:35 AM »
I'm looking for any ideas someone can give with regard to anything to do with writing that can be done online to earn an income?  I appreciate the advice.

I would be inclined to say 'don't bother'  If you're only interested in making money, writing is by far one of the hardest things to do.  There are so many other ways to make a quick buck that are easier to do, easier to get into and offer better rewards.

Many writers here have spent years writing out of love, honing their craft, becoming beter and still don't make a penny.

If, however, you want to write a story for the love of it then you have come to the right place, encouragement and enthusiasm can be found here - just don't expect it to make you a millionaire.  Good luck.
"Stories are never finished, only abandoned."  www.justinmaelzer.com

Offline Tiggywinkle

• View Profile
    • Tiggywinkle's Diary
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 10:57:28 AM »
If you're only interested in making money, writing is by far one of the hardest things to do.  There are so many other ways to make a quick buck that are easier to do, easier to get into and offer better rewards.
Many writers here have spent years writing out of love, honing their craft, becoming beter and still don't make a penny.

Thanks so much Justin.  I thought it was only me.  Why is it so hard to make any money at this - even established writers struggle with cash flow problems and other jobs, apart from a few 'celebs' that get good exposure from Waterstones.  Is it just me being bitter and twisted or is writing, like other art forms, completely undervalued?
http://thevolatilerune.blogspot.com

Offline Justin

• View Profile
    • www.justinmaelzer.com
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 11:49:08 AM »
I've said it before...

This thing that we're trying to do here, this writing - not for wimps.
"Stories are never finished, only abandoned."  www.justinmaelzer.com

Offline Gyppo

• I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 12:12:25 PM »
I've said it before...

This thing that we're trying to do here, this writing - not for wimps.

You need to be a pragmatic dreamer, allowing each charcteristic to take the lead at the appropriate time.  Unfortunately many of us allow pragmatism to get in the way of our dreams (guaranteed overtime as a wage slave, but it leaves us too knackerd to write), or allow our dreams to blind us to the times when a part-time job will clear the debts and still allow us time to write.

The character traits that make a good writer are not usually those of a determined and pushing salesman.  The average writer probably feels that tomorrow will do, because the work would benefit from an extra day's polishing.  The salesman wants to clear his 'stock' and get some more in to sell the next day.

Somehow we have to work out a balance that lets us do both, either by working and selling in neat little slices of time, or by alternately concentrating on one or the other for longer periods.  Two weeks of intensive writing, one week of selling, or whatever works for you.

It's not simple, but...  When it works well it's the best job in the world.

Gyppo 
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1