Author Topic: What the market is looking for...?  (Read 3022 times)

Offline johnthewriter

What the market is looking for...?
« on: March 17, 2006, 10:17:24 PM »
I will finish my current novel in about two months, and then plan to embark on my next project, the subject of which is yet to be determined.

Does anyone know of a list, or maybe an informative site, that tells the most marketable genre for novels?

My current novel I wrote partly for enjoyment, but after that, I hope to make a living at the craft, even if it's not necessarily with subjects I'm not completely enthused with.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 12:04:07 AM by johnthewriter »
I think, therefore I am. - Descartes

I know you are, but what am I? - PeeWee Herman

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
Re: What the market is looking for...?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 05:16:54 PM »
Whoa! Interesting question, John - I think somebody like Karlos would be the person to ask - or Suzie - or Nick.

It's fascinating because I was at an agents party recently (for children's authors) and they definitely pointed out gaps and trends in children's novels - things like trilogies going out of fashion - and the move away from fantasy and back to 'real people', etc.  I'm sure the same trends and fashions occur int he adult novel world, but where to find that out is tricky. Personally, I'd write to the letters page of a couple of Writing magazines and see what they say (if you don't get a definitive answer from somebody here)

Good luck. I'd be very interested in the answer to this,

Symphony

SuzieHarris

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 04:16:59 AM »
Hi,

Personally, I browse the bestseller lists of book stores like Amazon and visit agent's websites to see what they have recently commissioned.
I then pick a book that I like the look of and try to come up with a unique angle for my own story.
Publishers like books that will sell, what better way to prove your books sales potential than to show that book in a similar category to yours has high volume sales and is on the bestseller lists.

Hope that helps!

Suzie

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 11:09:03 AM »
Do agents have websites?  Yes I suppose they do.  How does one go about finding them, Suzie?

Mary Ann

SuzieHarris

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 11:13:12 AM »
Well, a web search for 'publishing agents' and derivatives of that nature will bring results. You could also look through market guides, such as Writers' & Artists' yearbook and other such reference books.

I found them online quite easily though.

suzie

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 11:39:22 AM »
Well, a web search for 'publishing agents' and derivatives of that nature will bring results. You could also look through market guides, such as Writers' & Artists' yearbook and other such reference books.

I found them online quite easily though.

suzie

Duh!! I should have thought of that.  Sorry, Suzie. I'm in thicksville today for some reason.  I will take a looksee.

Mary Ann

Offline gub2000

• There's always nest year
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 01:00:51 PM »

John, I've written a screenplay (I'm also working on a novel) And everything I find in my research for marketing my script tells me to ignore current trends.

In the movie industry (and I'm guessing things are similar in the publishing world) by the time something bubbles to the top as "the next hot thing" every company has something like it in development and is drowning in submissions just like it. By the time you get your work written, polished and submitted, the market has moved on.

I suggest you don't chase trends. For me personally, I write the type of stories I enjoy reading. I figure if I like them then so will other readers. Now I'm not suggesting you ignore researching the market. If you write a thriller, submit it publishers/agents who work with thrillers; romance, send it romance publishers.

gub2000

PS good luck with your novel.

Don't ever ever give up - Winston Churchill

www.TheBestofYouTube.com - editor

Offline johnthewriter

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 01:20:08 PM »
Great advice everyone.  :)

Thank you. :)

;D
I think, therefore I am. - Descartes

I know you are, but what am I? - PeeWee Herman

SuzieHarris

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 06:10:33 AM »
Gub,

I agree, however, it always pays to see what a publisher has previously published, that way you get used to their style and more importantly, what their editors preferences are. By adapting something they have already pubished, and adding your own unique angle, you stand a better chance of getting your foot in the door. Trust me, I have been there!

Suzie x

Sandy

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 09:53:05 AM »
Hi John,

This month's edition of 'Writers' Forum' magazine has an article on page 36 headed: 'The Two Big Sellers Crime and Romance'. Although male novelists are thin on the ground in romantic fiction, an American chap has just been short-listed. So perhaps you could become enthused with romance?

All the best for your current novel and future projects!