Author Topic: the "too much free time" thread (possible swearing)  (Read 276609 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Re: the "too much free time" thread
« Reply #165 on: December 07, 2007, 11:53:49 AM »

Do you remember the song by Starland or Starlight or Something like that Vocal Band called Afternoon Delight?

Starland Vocal Band, circa '76 ;-)

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline thatollie

« Reply #166 on: December 09, 2007, 10:53:42 PM »
That's why we have it after dessert, just to be different from the French.
Does this mean that all Americans would prefer to be French?
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Mark H

• Middleclass Machismo now available.
« Reply #167 on: December 10, 2007, 03:03:59 AM »
Well Bushy obviously would. He would love to be Queen of Franceshire, Europeland.
Buy Bristle Side Down, The Man Who Wore Brown Shoes and Middleclass Machismo here:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=570142

If poetry is not your thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PueM04F0Qz8 or: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Zm8cj9MGg

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #168 on: December 10, 2007, 05:59:22 AM »
Well Bushy obviously would. He would love to be Queen of Franceshire, Europeland.

But only if it was relocated to The Republic of Disney.  ;-)
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Lin

« Reply #169 on: December 10, 2007, 08:52:40 AM »
Ive never been to Disney - am I a poor relation?  I always wanted to go but my parents couldnt afford it and now I can - Im glad I didnt!!  Well secretly maybe Id like to see Mickey Mouse.

Lin

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • Station Shorts
« Reply #170 on: December 11, 2007, 08:19:43 PM »
Does this mean that all Americans would prefer to be French?
Don't let a true American Patriot hear you say that.  ;)

Is it true that the French invented the artery clogging French fry to kill off the ugly Americans or is that what you call a small French child?

What is with all of these things French?

Then what about the French kiss?
The French Poodle?
The French knot?
Mr. French?
B.S. Good French Tyres...no, wait. That was B.F.GoodWrench Tires.
French onion soup...What is a French onion then?
French horn?
French Open?
French Revolution?
French connection?
French orthography?
French phonology?
French toast?
French braid?
French lover?
And the American's say, "Pardon my French." Why is that? It doesn't even resemble French.

Bonne journée !    ;D

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #171 on: December 11, 2007, 10:35:40 PM »
French surrender flag?
I didn't see that
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline Mark H

« Reply #172 on: December 12, 2007, 03:14:34 AM »
Then what about the French kiss?

If you insist. Meet me behind the bike sheds in 5 minutes. Here's an English one to be going on with  :-*
Buy Bristle Side Down, The Man Who Wore Brown Shoes and Middleclass Machismo here:

If poetry is not your thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PueM04F0Qz8 or: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Zm8cj9MGg

Offline thatollie

« Reply #173 on: December 12, 2007, 09:04:16 AM »
And the American's say, "Pardon my French." Why is that? It doesn't even resemble French.
It's about naming a more vulgar country than your own.

English say, "pardon my American."
Americans say, "pardon my French."
The French say, "pardon my Italian."
And all the way through the list until the Welsh say, "pardon my Scottish."
The Scots say, "F*** You."

Offline Mark H

« Reply #174 on: December 12, 2007, 09:34:47 AM »

:D

Deb

In case you didn't know Ollie was joking, BUT, from this day hence I shall now use that phrase whenever I say 'dude' or 'OK' or 'mother hubbard'.

Alternatives to Deb's list:

American kiss - involves kissing while eating a doughnut.
The American Poodle - Tony Blair.
The American knot - Bush's written reply to his accusers. 'I did knot.'
Mr. American - Schwarzenegger.
American onion soup - Ingredients: A dozen burgers, 1/2 cup of warm water and a pinch of onion.
American horn - wood.
American Open - a mouth.
American Revolution - bastards! We were robbed.
American connection - an extremely strong belt buckle.
American orthography - Doh!
American phonology - Doh!
American toast - fat bottoms up.
American braid - D Bunch.
American lover - Any bloke without a foreskin that is solvent.

;D

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • Station Shorts
« Reply #175 on: December 12, 2007, 03:43:45 PM »
Cita,

Although I found your post entertaining I have to say...

I have never kissed while eating a donut! I've never even heard of this before. French, American or otherwise. :P Rosie O'Donnell may be able to pull that one off though.

You know, we ugly Americans aren't all that bad. It's the wealthy ones and the ones in politics you gotta look out for. ;) Most of us don't like our president any more than the rest of the world does.

Entertaining, nonetheless.

Quote from: thatollie

link=topic=10524.msg123948#msg123948 date=1197468256
It's about naming a more vulgar country than your own.

Americans say, "pardon my French."
The French say, "pardon my Italian."
And all the way through the list until the Welsh say, "pardon my Scottish."
The Scots say, "F*** You."

Ollie,
I loved this. I have family and a few friends from Ireland who might feel left out. Nah. On second thought, they're Irish. 'Nuf said. ;)

....A little something I found on the web:

This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever.
                                                                                           Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)
My grandfather is Irish and that be so true of 'em.

There have been many definitions of hell, but for the English the best definition is that it is the place where the Germans are the police, the Swedish are the comedians, the Italians are the defense force, Frenchmen dig the roads, the Belgians are the pop singers, the Spanish run the railways, the Turks cook the food, the Irish are the waiters, the Greeks run the government, and the common language is Dutch.
David Frost and Anthony Jay

He left out "Where American's run the judicial system."

What about the Ugly Americans? Where did that come from or rather who do we have to thank for that?

For the record, I have no prejudices and am hoping no one is offended by the joking here. To me this is like harmless teasing of one state to another Texans, Californians, New Yorkers, Floridians, short, tall, blonde, red-headed, bald, hairy, old, young, etc. 'Tis all the same to me when it's only good natured fun. Yanks, Feds, Oakies, Cajuns, Aggies and Hillbillies. Heaven forbid we not be politically correct in the US. ::) Is the rest of the world as paranoid as we are about making fun of each other?

Personally I believe 'politically correct' is an oxymoron.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline thatollie

« Reply #176 on: December 13, 2007, 08:31:35 AM »
The Irish aren't on the list for a reason, no one in their right mind would insult them, and neither would I.

Unfortunately, sigh, we also have the PC brigade in England. I agree that some things aren't meant to be said but it's getting ridiculous.
These words aren't OK [pardon my American],
******, *****, ****, ***, ******, ****, *****, ****, ****, *****, *****, ***, ****, **** & *****.
But there should be a limit to what can be censored.

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #177 on: December 13, 2007, 09:21:54 AM »
I don't remember where I saw it, but I read about some ditzy United States citizen who was worried about blacks in Barbados or England or Some Other Place. She thought it was horrid that they were called "black" and wanted them to be listed as "African-American" and saw no problem with that at all. The fact that they weren't American and probably quite grateful for it never entered her tiny, little brain.

Euphemisms take all the sting out of words that perhaps could and should retain some sting. I would much rather get the sympathy due anyone who has been "fired" rather than the horrid "down-sized" which results in the same economic disaster, but without any sympathy attached.

Words carry power and I think that too much of their power is being stripped away in the spirit of downright stupidity.

Patti
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline thatollie

« Reply #178 on: December 13, 2007, 09:33:00 AM »
Words carry power and I think that too much of their power is being stripped away in the spirit of downright stupidity.

The Spirit of downright stupidity, I sense a story there.

Offline Writers Block

« Reply #179 on: December 13, 2007, 10:20:17 AM »
I dislike Political Correctness.

Not for what might be the obvious reasons, but more the case it allows prejudiced and bigotted people to hind behind it. It doesn't change anyone's mind. Only frank, honest, and open discussions where other participants are treated with respect does that.

You know, we ugly Americans aren't all that bad. It's the wealthy ones and the ones in politics you gotta look out for.  ;) Most of us don't like our president any more than the rest of the world does.

Politicians seem to be pretty much the same no matter the country they come from. And, sadly, a good number of the rich too. Although it's unfare to 'tar them all with the same brush', that is just as prejudiced as anything else.
I tend to critique in a harsh manner. Please remember it is not personal, but how I prefer anyone critiqueing me to be. It is far more useful IMO.

WB

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.