Author Topic: Challenge 33 (Plus a *PRIZE* to possibly tempt a few more entries.  (Read 2095 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Challenge 33 (Plus a *PRIZE* to possibly tempt a few more entries.
« on: September 09, 2007, 07:55:52 PM »
CHALLENGE 33:  Set by Gyppo

I'd like you to write a short story, somewhere between 800 and 1200 words, I'll allow some flexibility on these limits but not too much.  No flash fiction.

It *has to end* with the line 'And that was how we finally got rid of The Laird of Camster.'

To tie in with *your* story you can modify this final line to 'I got rid of...', 'they got rid of...', 'we got rid of...' etc, but the Laird has to go.

How you get to that punchline is entirely up to you.  Romance, thriller, crime, it's open season.

I've used this with writing students in the past and - believe me - , 'The Laird' can be anything you want it/him to be.  If you want him to be a traditional Scot I'll not hold it against you, but unlock your imaginations.  As a hint, ships, pubs, and racehorses have carried the title in previous offerings.

I'll allow you two weeks. Long enough to think about it and fit it around other projects, short enough to concentrate your minds.

PM your entries to me (and if you haven't figure out how to do a PM yet please ask someone.)

Deadline Midnight (GMT) Monday 24th September.

Oh yes, I offered a prize didn't I?  The (un)lucky winner gets a free copy of one of my E-books.  Either:
a) A Hamper of Havoc
b) British Bike Bodgers Booklet
c) The Flying Ferret

Or... a 'Genuine Hand-Carved Lucky Gypsy Clothespeg Keyring', carved by my very own stubby and cunning fingers, and posted anywhere in the world at my expense.  (Quite frankly the books offer better value...)

So come on, lets see how you 'Finally got rid of The Laird of Camster'.

Gyppo

PS:  I can safely promise that the Laird of Camster will not sue anyone no matter how scurrilous your tales may become. .

My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Hmmm

• Visual depiction of writer's block.
Re: Challenge 33 (Plus a *PRIZE* to possibly tempt a few more entries.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 09:29:37 AM »
Gyppo, do you know of somewhere I can find out more where the word laird has been used before, other than in the context of a Lord, landowner or in the Scottish sense?

With thanks! :P
The complete works of George Orwell; books, essays, biography and more: george-orwell.org.

Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media. (Search Google and find the Wikipedia entry, and grab the DVD)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 11:35:27 AM »
Gyppo, do you know of somewhere I can find out more where the word laird has been used before, other than in the context of a Lord, landowner or in the Scottish sense?

With thanks! :P

Not really...  Look on this as  chance to unlock your imagination ;-)  If you look on the net you'll find Lairds galore, including 'Camster', but they're all likely to be in the sense of landowner.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Hmmm

• Visual depiction of writer's block.
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 11:39:58 AM »
Not really...  Look on this as  chance to unlock your imagination ;-)  If you look on the net you'll find Lairds galore, including 'Camster', but they're all likely to be in the sense of landowner.

Gyppo

Ahhh... thanks. ;)

I've already thought of a few things now you've made it clear for the second time... d'oh!
The complete works of George Orwell; books, essays, biography and more: george-orwell.org.

Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media. (Search Google and find the Wikipedia entry, and grab the DVD)