Author Topic: Free Agent and Agency Web Resource  (Read 13936 times)

Offline khm42269

• View Profile
    • Literary Agent and Agency Database
Free Agent and Agency Web Resource
« on: September 06, 2007, 01:32:11 PM »
For those who are looking for a literary agent, I just helped to put together a website that I'm rather proud of.

http://www.litmatch.net/

LitMatch can help narrow down which agents and agencies to query and help track submissions to them. There's also a full content search where you can look up terms to connect back to targeted agents. Take a look and let me know what you think. In my humble (and biased) opinion it's the best, most complete thing out there.

I'll be checking back often if anyone wants to leave feedback for me here.

I appreciate everyone's help.  Good luck, everyone!

Kris

Offline Wurdsmyth

• A sparkly little optimist in a dark, dark world
    • View Profile
    • Miranda's website
Re: Free Agent and Agency Web Resource
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 08:51:32 AM »
Hi Kris

I just visited your site and it's wonderful!

I've nearly completed my first novel and need to find representation, which is such a minefield for a first-time author. Your site is really easy to navigate, very informative and a gem of a tool for writers. I'd thoroughly recommend it to anyone else who wants to take a look.

Thank you for championing new writers - it's about time we had some power on our side for a change!

Miranda x
Need a dash of optimism or just a good read? Visit my blog at www.coffeeandroses.blogspot.com
I also have a swanky writing website - oh yes - and you're all invited! Pop over to www.miranda-dickinson.com
GREAT CHRISTMAS PRESSIE: My new novel, A Parcel for Anna Browne, is out now (PanMacmillan) :)

Offline khm42269

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 09:49:10 AM »
Thank you so much for the great positive feedback, Miranda!!    :) :) :)  We went into building this site with the philosophy that the more open a forum we can create for writers and agents, the less disinformation and aggravation for all parties concerned.

My husband and I have been working on this site for nearly a year and we keep asking each other "People are going to like this, right?"  I think with anything you spend a lot of time working on and refining it's natural to have moments of self-doubt, all the way from websites to novels, I think!

I'm updating information all of the time, so if you see any gaps in the info or if you have a tip, drop me a line and I'll jump on it pronto.

I hope you find the query process less heinous with LitMatch's help and that you find a terrific agent in record time!  Thanks again!!

Kris

Offline khm42269

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 09:53:17 AM »
We have an official press release now!   ;D ;D ;D

Announcing the launch of LitMatch.net, a free online resource with cutting-edge features designed to help writers of all kinds connect with the agents who are best able to help them get published.

More than just a listing of literary agents, LitMatch features a unique submission tracking system that allows writers to record and manage their queries online.

When a user records a submission, LitMatch keeps track of key information, including when the query was sent, whether it was sent by mail or email, and which agent it was sent to.  When the user gets a reply, LitMatch keeps track of any follow-ups and reports back on how agents are responding to his or her work.

Users can also compare response times against those reported by other users, and use reported statistics to determine which agents they want to approach next.  Users can enter information for multiple titles and LitMatch will track and report on each one independently.

Other features include:
•   A robust, up-to-date database, featuring over 1600 literary agents and their respective agencies.
•   A matching search that lets writers quickly find the agents who will be most receptive to their work.
•   Comment functions that allow users to share their experiences with specific agents with other users, and record private notes for reference purposes.
•   Hotlist functionality that allows users to bookmark agents and agencies for future reference.
•   Full-text and targeted searches that let users quickly find agents by the authors they represent, the genres they’re interested in, their professional history and more.
•   An intuitive, easy-to-use interface.

LitMatch’s listings are the most complete and up-to-date on the Web, and each entry is carefully reviewed before inclusion in the LitMatch database.  It is LitMatch’s policy to not list agents or agencies that charge up-front reading fees, ensuring that users can confidently submit to only the most reputable agents.

LitMatch was created by Christopher Hawkins, a Chicago-area writer and web developer.  Nearly a year in development, LitMatch is the culmination of over a decade of experience building, managing and promoting websites for magazines and online retailers.

For more information, visit us at www.litmatch.net, or contact us via email at admin@litmatch.net.

Offline djpaterson

• View Profile
    • dj's website
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 03:24:46 PM »
I've had a little look around the site, LitMatch, and it looks excellent  :). Well done and thanks for the link.

Regards

DJ
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 06:32:23 PM by djpaterson »
<b><u><i>http://www.djpaterson.co.uk</b></u></i>

Offline khm42269

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 03:30:43 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, DJ!!!

Offline lynnmosher

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 12:36:54 PM »
Took a short tour. Looks great. What a great benefit to all of us. I hope it does well. Thanks for letting us all know. ;D

Offline khm42269

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 02:05:38 PM »
Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the positive feedback!  We think our website is pretty spiffy too.   ;)  We're working on data refinement and new features constantly, so check back again sometime.

Thanks again,

Kris (your friendly neighborhood data monkey)
www.litmatch.net

Offline DougK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 09:29:12 AM »
Hi Kris

What a great resource, obviously the result of a great deal of hard work; however, my Internet security software keeps red-flagging your site as a dangerous webthreat! I wonder if you could please clarify your site's integrity.

The message I keep getting is Dangerous website, close it down immediately, navigate away and do not try to re-open etc. Apparently, there is a spyware issue. Here's the message displayed associated with your URL:

http://ads.adbrite.com/adserver/statsimg.php?nocache=0.7386309461950877&navname=Microsoft%20Internet%20Explorer&navver=4.0%20%28compatible%3B%20MSIE%207.0%3B%20Windows%20NT%205.1%3B%20YPC%203.2.0%3B%20Mozilla/4.0%20%28compatible%3B%20MSIE%206.0%3B%20Windo...protocol=http:&ref=http%3A//www.litmatch.net/AgencyDetail.asp%3Fagcy_id%3D571%26ViewType%3D%252D%252D%26ViewTitle%3D%252D%252D%26fcountry%3DEngland%26showinactive%3D%26&host=www.litmatch.net&loc=http%3A//www.litmatch.net/AgentDetail.asp%3Fagent_id%3D132

Has your site maybe been compromised without your knowledge?

I hope you don't mind be bringing this to your attention, but, as I'm sure you'll agree -- if your site has been the victim of a malware attack without your knowledge, this is something you'll want to be aware of.

Best

Doug

Offline khm42269

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 09:48:16 AM »
Hi Doug,

Thank you very much for taking the time to bring this to my attention!!  What you are seeing is actually due to our AdBrite sponsor's spyware problems.  We've been having issues with them pretty consistently (not just this either) and despite their insistence that they have fixed these problems, they obviously haven't been able to bring this to a successful resolution as of yet.  I will ask our site manager, Christopher, to remove this sponsor immediately.  You should be able to view LitMatch without your anti-spyware software going crazy in within the hour. 

I truly appreciate your help, Doug, and I hope LitMatch helps you find an excellent agent!

Many Thanks,

Kris

Offline DougK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 09:56:59 AM »
Hi Kris

Phew!

I can't tell you trepidatious I was about airing this in the full glare of a public posting, but I figured it was something you needed to be aware of ASAP!

And I meant it -- it's a really good site! Thanks for all your hard work.

Best

Doug

Offline khm42269

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 10:56:09 AM »
Hi Doug,

No problem at all!  I truly don't mind if anyone brings an issue up, public or not, each problem we can solve now means less problems for everyone involved later on.  At LitMatch.net one of our goals is to foster targeted and effective communication of which you are most definitely an important part.  If you ever run into another problem, go ahead and post here or through LitMatch.net itself.  Either way, we'll get back to you as soon as possible.

I appreciate the positive feedback, Doug, and I hope the site makes your journey to publication easier!

Gratefully,

Kris

Offline Bru

• View Profile
    • http://www.brunazanelli.com
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 11:36:48 AM »
Kris,
just been looking around your site.  Great job!  I have registered.  I note you have my ex-agent listed. :)

Bru
'if there's a friend who ever needs me,
I'll try to help somehow'
http://www.brunazanelli.com

Offline khm42269

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2007, 12:11:09 PM »
Hi Bru,

Thanks for registering and also for the positive feedback!  We don't have you down as a current client for that agent, do we?  I run into that issue fairly frequently, where an author is listed on several different agents' lists and it's hard to tell who's currently being represented if they don't happen to also list titles.

Many Thanks,

Kris

Offline Bru

• View Profile
    • http://www.brunazanelli.com
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2007, 12:14:21 PM »
Kris,
I am not listed.  You're safe.  :D

Bru
'if there's a friend who ever needs me,
I'll try to help somehow'