Author Topic: You can all return from the edge of your seats... I'm here.  (Read 1819 times)

Offline Trippmeister

You can all return from the edge of your seats... I'm here.
« on: August 27, 2007, 11:26:15 PM »
The Trippmeister has arrived. (that's me!)

And how did I wind up here, you ask?  I'd say it's a thrilling tale of action and adventure and pursuit by bloodthirsty cyber-goblins, but... it isn't.  In fact, it's mostly just the dreaded writer's block.  Which I've had for several years now.  I have great ideas for a fantasy series, but I'm having difficulty transferring the endless, chaotic ramblings of my overcrowded mind into a sensible, enjoyable story.  So I came for help, if anyone can help me.  I found this site very indirectly indeed: an email led to a google ad led to Nick Daws' page led here through "testimonials".

So now I'm here.

Nadine L

Re: You can all return from the edge of your seats... I'm here.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 02:22:37 AM »
Welcome Tripp!

MWC is a fantastic writing forum.  Browse around and get familiar with what MWC has to offer. Read the stickies on the boards so we are all on the same page.

There are discussion boards, review boards, and fun in the coffee shop. Read a few threads until you find one you like and jump in. You might find some of the writing games and exercises jump start your writer's block. Or maybe something in the review sections will bring an "ah-ha" moment to a specific problem you face. We're all in this writing gig together. Join in!

If you have questions ask. The moderators are the people with blue stars; Carrie, Cathy, Lin, Saturnine, Symphony, and myself...our fearless leaders are Nick and Karl.

We're glad you joined us!

Nadine

Offline thatollie

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 09:56:28 PM »
Welcome aboard.

Just so I'm clear, hear what I think you mean.
       *You're writing a fantasy series.
       *You're stuck in planning.
       *You have lots of ideas but no structure.
       *You haven't started writing it yet.

Try writing some of it, turn the largest piece into fiction and things may become clearer.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Trippmeister

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 09:10:29 AM »
In fact, I have started writing it.  Many times.  But that's exactly the problem: started writing it.  I'm a perfectionist in the extreme, so I'm never satisfied with what I write; so far I have only one version that is a complete story (116 handwritten pages) but it's simply awful and mostly smudged out anyway.

I do have lots of ideas, and while it's true that most of them have no structure, some do.  But a lot of my ideas are for later points in the series.  I think I've finally managed to pin down a decent plotline for book one, but I'm having trouble transforming plotline into story.

Nadine L

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 10:19:37 AM »
Tripp,

Draft writing is very hard on perfectionists for the reason you mentioned...not moving forward. Let me say that the "perfect" draft is incomplete; rough in grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, thought...  Compare the process to a water color painting, a perfect draft of a story is like the color wash background...a thinly colored representation of what is to come.

Do NOT edit during the draft stage. Learn to trust the story to unfold. When the complete draft is finished, then use your perfectionist qualities to move it through the rewrites. No one in their right mind would ever submit the first or second version of a piece. They are never the best works, even if "perfect."

Seriously, in novels...writing forward, going back to previous chapters to edit, writing forward, going back to previous chapters to edit...results (often) in a jagged flow. Readers will notice. That is anything, but perfect.

Save your attention to details for the rewrites. You'll be fine.

Nadine

(In a perfect world, this should probably be in a thread elsewhere...heh heh!)  ;D

Offline CarrieSheppard

• All it took was a visit to AZ...
    • My blog pages
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 03:10:41 PM »
Loved the intro, welcome fellow inmate....

Carrie
Odderator